Smiths 8 Day Clock

Old Bill

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Whilst having a sort out l have come across a Smiths 8 Day Clock that I seem to remember taking out of a car many years ago, amazingly it still works. I would like to mount it on my Comet, however, it would need to go into a waterproof case and it could certainly do with a mechanical overhaul. As this forum is the font of all knowledge perhaps someone could recommend a reliable person/company to undertake this task.

highbury731

VOC Member
Whilst having a sort out l have come across a Smiths 8 Day Clock that I seem to remember taking out of a car many years ago, amazingly it still works. I would like to mount it on my Comet, however, it would need to go into a waterproof case and it could certainly do with a mechanical overhaul. As this forum is the font of all knowledge perhaps someone could recommend a reliable person/company to undertake this task.

Which Smiths 8 day clock do you have? There is a common one with a face approx 80mm, fitted to cars, with the wrong mechanism, it's far too big to fit a motorcycle-sized clock. Pre-War clocks may have the right mechanism. It's more compact than the later motorcycle ones, and has some jewels in the mechanism. I have a clock out of a post-War Bentley with the same mechanism as used on Vincents, but an unsuitable case because it was made to fit a glove-box lid. But don't mount one on Vincent forks, the impacts will destroy it in no time at all. A handlebar mount might work. Draganfly offer a battery powered clock in a suitable body for around £80. I think it's a much better bet.

nkt267

VOC Member
I have a very nice 2" Jaeger clock mounted in the tank of my '32 Sunbeam, made for the job.. Years ago when I was trying to find one an old wag told me 'Buy a Green label Bentley and throw the Bentley away'.
Eventually got one at a flea market in Lisle.
There was a Smiths MA clock on Ebay recently in a speedo casing..John

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
nkt 267 thats the very same. Point taken about mounting on the forks. Looks like its destined for a new owner. Thanks for the replies.

highbury731

VOC Member

I had a look, that's a fascia-mounting car clock. I have an MA out of a 1931 or '32 Austin 12, with a hinge mount and cup fitting into the dashboard. I think they are the same mechanism, which is very bulky. Best sold to a car owner. I inherited mine from my father, who removed it from the car he sold circa 1950. It's in a mahogany mount made from a shelf he made years ago, and sits on my mantlepiece

If you want a clock resembling the Vincent 8-day one, you need an 80mm housing, and one of the motorcycle clock mechanisms, or go electric.

If period correct appearance is not a concern, try one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-1-Han...50?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item462e167dca

highbury731

VOC Member
I have a very nice 2" Jaeger clock mounted in the tank of my '32 Sunbeam, made for the job.. Years ago when I was trying to find one an old wag told me 'Buy a Green label Bentley and throw the Bentley away'.
Eventually got one at a flea market in Lisle.

A Bentley?

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
highbury 731 thanks for the link, a clock like that would not look out of place on a Vincent in my opinion, further investigation will continue in the new year, many thanks.

Howard

VOC Member
A VOC member who used to be in our section used to build clocks from an 80mm speedo case and a modern (but old looking) clock mechanism. I can ask if he's still making them, if there's any interest.

I only need an 8 day clock when I'm checking my Comet's 0-60 time. :D

H