Slow Surrey

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Surrey is not a county I have often ridden since it cowers under the weight of London and the M25 which always (except once) kept me from the Heaver Rally but I do note with consternation that the County Council intends to lower the speed limit on some country roads to 20 mph from 60! One would expect that this would be because of a soaring accident rate as this is the main reason for speed limits, but no, it seems the limit is being imposed 'at the speed most people drive at' I wonder if that logic applied to Surrey motor ways if so they would be raised to 80.
Anyway my guess is that as there are no extra police enforcement involved the accident rate (and exasperation) will rise .
What do you think?

Colin

VOC Member
From observations of many road arrangements in many different counties, I have come to the considered opinion that "Road Planner" do not actually drive, or ride, anything, anywhere, ever, but just invent arrangements, because if they are not actually changing something, somewhere, all the time, they would be out of a job.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
From observations of many road arrangements in many different counties, I have come to the considered opinion that "Road Planner" do not actually drive, or ride, anything, anywhere, ever, but just invent arrangements, because if they are not actually changing something, somewhere, all the time, they would be out of a job.
Yes, I don't know about now, but years ago the "road planner" in our council did not drive.

vibrac

VOC Member
Once apon a time the road planner of Hemel Hempstead invented the magic roundabout he has always been lambasted about it but I think its great. On the occasions I have used it I always go round anti clockwise. Anything that actually gets the attention of tin box drivers is OK with me, I bet that planner was a driver....

1664527803246.png

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Been round it a few times, Always glad to get the other side !,

Down in Dorset we have the Mr Bean Roundabout I think 72 traffic lights ?,
Not too bad if you know where you are going, But if others don't, Give them lots of Space !.

lee_812d

VOC Member
In that video at about 3:57 the red car is not expecting the white car to come all the way round and so almost pulls on - not nice when you're on a bike when that happens. I think everyone that uses the road should have to ride a bike for few years, might make them think a bit more (although probably won't).

I don't think there are stop lights, unless they added some to the heavier routes to allow some movement.

I think there is a similar one near Swindon but that hasn't got a big island in the middle, just a larger white blob than the mini ones round it.