F: Frame Single Rfm to twin Rfm

charles d cannon jr

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have what appears to be a postwar Meteor Rfm. It has straight up seat stays brackets, one drilled and tapped hole for the chain guard on the left side, and the tapped lug on the right side. It has no numbers (of course!) but all findings point to it being so. I have twin crankcases and crankshaft and am building a twin so as it is the Rfm is a problem. My initial postulated "fix" was to make two vertical horizontal cuts 180 degrees apart on the lug until brazing material noted, then heat the lug with an acetylene torch until the halves drop off, then weld the halves to the left side-- creating a twin Rfm. One individual stateside says there may be pins holding the lug on and that the tube the lug rides on may be in two pieces, not one. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Charles,

I know that what you are saying is that you have a single RFM, not the later universal RFM, but there are only a few relatively minor dimension changes. It has a half inch shorter wheelbase which is a handling benefit in my book. The brake anchor and chain guard support hole near the bearing pivot is on the wrong side. Otherwise, it is a twin RFM.

If this is a restoration, you should just swap the single RFM for a twin or universal RFM. If it is a special, I would just drill and tap a chain guard hole on the right side. and grind off the the brake anchor on the left. Weld on an anchor on the right.

David

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I swapped my "C" RFM for a "B" RFM at a German Rally as our German member wanted to fit it to his Comet that he was building, Worked all night to do it.
Some one might be trying to build a Meteor and is willing to swap ! Never be too hasty to use a hack saw when a better component could be had with out expense. MPH is best but an active member on here might be interested.
Mine was an unusual one not particularly old or earlier but the but the suspension lug had six scallops cast into it ?! saw another at the Wolverhampton Annual in 1993 !? any one know a reason, also the screw to stop the friction drums fron turning were 2BA and was tapped into the inside seat support.
bananaman

greg brillus

VOC Member
Would finding a replacement rear frame in exchange for that one be a more ideal answer rather than modifying that one........?.......As I might be able to help.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I swapped my "C" RFM for a "B" RFM at a German Rally as our German member wanted to fit it to his Comet that he was building, Worked all night to do it.
Some one might be trying to build a Meteor and is willing to swap ! Never be too hasty to use a hack saw when a better component could be had with out expense. MPH is best but an active member on here might be interested.
Mine was an unusual one not particularly old or earlier but the but the suspension lug had six scallops cast into it ?! saw another at the Wolverhampton Annual in 1993 !? any one know a reason, also the screw to stop the friction drums fron turning were 2BA and was tapped into the inside seat support.
bananaman
Hello Marcus,
I can remember that very well as you were swapping parts with my brother.
You just returned from a boat trip and your lovely wife was holding a torch while you were spannering.
Those were the good old days in Schloss Vincent. Really miss this time now.
Bernie

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Charles, this is a very unusual short RFM, they were fitted for the 1948 Earls Court Show on 500cc bikes, all had series A foot brake pedals, and after the show had the later frame fitted one may have got away I have only seen one in the last ten years, Vince Farrell and I were at my Brother home in the UK and there was a Meteor with one on and a modified brake lug look in The Vincent HRD Gallery page 55

nkt267

VOC Member
Unfortunately you just missed one on Ebay in the last week.

Last edited by a moderator: