ET: Engine (Twin) Simple Rev counter, is there one ?

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Simple Rev counter availability, is there a digital one that can simply pick up the impulses,
30 years ago I had a cordless hand held one shown below for checking rev's on power equipment, lawnmowers etc,
worked perfectly, would be nice to know the rev's on my Vincent.
Many thanks.
Kerry.

Attachments

• P1070844.JPG
    P1070844.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 3

erik

VOC Member
I like the simple machanical one.Always there to look at! Erik

Attachments

• 375.JPG
    375.JPG
    433.4 KB · Views: 16

kerry

VOC Member
Thanks Eric, but, I am unable to use a mechanical one hence my question to see if there is a digital one available, can be small and not obtrusive perhaps too.
The technology as per my picture is 30+ year old so must be even more advanced now ?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I got a digital one from Amazon that was about 13mm x 25mm. The instructions were so poorly translated to English that I never figured out how to use it. Maybe @oexing has found one.

kerry

VOC Member
"Maybe @oexing has found one." his is mechanical, I need digital, sorry about your's, partly why I am asking for something 'simple' starting to wonder if it exists.
Kerry.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I tried several of those cheap Chinese ones. One of them sort of worked for a very short time. My bike is a D with the distributor, so I used the pulses from the primary circuit to drive it. It would show revs up to maybe 1500 and then either swing to infinity or drop to zero. After numerous attempts to get it to work, I just gave up.

On the other hand, I have a small diesel tractor which had a dead mechanical tach. That's an important item on a tractor, so I found one that can use various inputs, including input from the alternator. I had to make a connection to one of the diodes in the alternator for that. Then I needed to calibrate it. To do that I got one of those cheap strobe-light tachometers, put a bit of reflective tape on the crankshaft pulley, set the revs to 1500 and set the tachometer in the tractor. It's been working fine ever since. The tach includes an hour meter as well. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure this is it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1644943942...xyGzjKQWR2jkTKGd2G+3xsng==|tkp:Bk9SR8q46oDFYg

Len Matthews

VOC Member
For a number of years I ran a Krober rev counter.It took a pulse using an earthing magneto end cap, no other power supply needed.

Last edited:

kerry

VOC Member
Thanks Len, that seems basic and simple, my bike has a Magneto on it too, I have just searched and found these people so I will contact them.
All the best, Kerry

The Triple Cycles supplied Krober Tachometer is a currently built version of the instrument first used in the late 1960's. It is still produced in Germany, and although there have been a few minor modifications it is still basically the same instrument

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a mini (50mm dia) aftermarket one for a Harley, picks up pulses from the coils, goes to 8000 rpm.

Small digital ones or a few quid on ebay, just take pulses from around HT leads.