Silencers

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi chaps and chapesses.
Silencers which make, today i took off the Prince the silencer it came to me with a "Cambells" because i let it go to pot as far a rust is concerned using it over the winter. Amongst my box of bit's left to me by Bernard when he went to Oz was a pair of Burgess silencers. I have noticed that they both fit but one of them has a slightly smaller outlet, but i fitted the larger bore one that matches the Cambells. The Burgess is a bit louder and i noticed it seems to have given the bike a bit of oomph. So which should it be?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
John, you were right to dispense with the Campbells silencer. Going back a few years I remember two instances where complaints were raised about poor performing Twins. In both cases ditching the Campbell's product was the key. There was obvious heat build-up near the mounting lug which had discoloured the chrome plating. Imagine the owner's pleasure at having performance restored after ten minutes work, having fiddled about for ages with timing and carb adjustments to no avail!

John Cone

VOC Member
Hi Len
went out for a ride today, what a difference it's made to performance but get a bit of spit back if i try and start it slightly in the wrong position. Had a chat with John Hood as well, me tending to ride all year round may go for an armours stainless box.

jim burgess

VOC Member
Hi John,
I am one of the happy pair that Len advised to ditch a Cambells silencer. Stunning difference, really liberated the motor, chances are you may now be running a tad weak at low speed and coming off a closed throttle, try increasing the mixture strength just a wee bit.
How is your bother these days, I once worked with him at Stowmarket high.
Jim Burgess

Len Matthews

VOC Member
That makes three then Jim. The other two were Dave Quartermaine and Brian East. Quote: "How is your bother these days?" Did you mean brother? Or were right the first time?