Misc: Stands Side Stand

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know of any aftermarket side stands (which mount around the pillion footrest area) available for singles/twins?
I've heard of Triumph/BSA stands being adapted with a welded on bracket, so maybe this is the way to go.

I have a stand from America by 'Performance Indian' on my twin which is superb, but it doesn't work too well on a Comet as the angle of the mounting screws and clearance between them and the chain case is different.
http://www.performanceindian.com/VinStand.html

Thanks

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Doesn't MPH advertiser Neal Videan make them? Honda stands have been mentioned here on the Forum, too.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Side stands off of a ZZR 250 or 400 Kawasaki work perfectly with a small shim ( 8 mm thick) sandwiched between the stand bracket and the pillion footrest bracket mounted immediately behind the primary chain case on either twin or single...fitted many with great success....best single mod you can do to a Vincent. Cheers...........Greg.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Yes 800 Honda VFR stands fit ,you just have to drill one hole in rear left side plate ,see photos in old post and best of all buy them on eBay for 10 pounds

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Colin Taylor makes a lh front engine plate with at modern side stand on. Have got one on my Egli and in my opinion it feels correct to rather have the stand in this position, than on the footrest plate. DSC00847.jpg

Dag

b'knighted

VOC Member
I'd recommend the VFR400 NC24 propstand for Comet or twin. Its little rubber extention foot flicks it up painlessly if you do accidentally leave it down and you can stand on its foot to mount and dismount securing the bike completely.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I have just fitted a VFR sidestand to the COMET ON STEROIDS. I like standard fasteners so I drilled the two mounting holes in the stand to 7/16" and made up a 3/8" i.d top hat bush with a 1/8"x 3/4" "brim". I also welded a piece of 3/8" plate to the foot to give it more area (about 1 1/4" diameter. As further evidence of incipient insanity I tapped this plate 5/16W at 7/8" centres in case I need to fit an alloy foot for more height. It really does look the duck's guts even if I sez so meself!

nobby

VOC Member
The Neil Videan sidestand, as advertised in MPH. You can kickstart your bike while on the stand. Perfect!
(I have one for sale by the way)vin4-t.jpg

Last edited:

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.
The problem with stands mounted to the front of the engine is that they lift the forks on the bike when it's leaned over and make the stance of the bike look pretty ugly to me. I think that a Honda stand is the answer. My Rapide sits nice and purposefully low leant on its Preformance Indian stand and I'd like the Comet to be similar, rather than the gawky slightly 70's chopper look of the original stands.