FT: Frame (Twin) Series 'D' FT 108/2 Silencer support

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have recently been given a drawing to get some of these made. Some of you will know that I own the original Series 'D' Black Knight prototype and on that bike this part was made from a B/C footrest plate and a piece of rear brake torque stay. I replaced that original item by a new one about 55 years ago. The replacement had an offset to move the silencer supports outwards about 3/16" to match the prototype which had the torque stay part bolted to the outside of the old B/C item. I assume this was to move the silencer support outwards by that amount. The drawing I now have does not show this offset. Clearly it would be easier to make the new plates without this offset but if it is required then it would be better if was done at the manufacturing stage and before they are powder coated. Could I please ask any 'D' owners out there to have a look at their bikes and see if this offset is present. If not, does it matter, or have you had to space the silencer outwards in order to stop it fouling something, Thanking you in advance for any help/advice offered.

By the way in the new spares list they are listed as "pillion footrest support plates". They do not perform that function. That is done by holes in the bottom brackets below the tubular steel frames which support the either the rear enclosure or the seat on the open models.

robin

VOC Member
Norman,
The kink in the plate is to ensure that the head of the silencer fixing bolt does NOT foul the rear brake cable. If the head does foul the rear brake cable, eventually the rear brake cable will be worn through resulting in no rear brake. It happened to me, very disconcerting when riding a sidecar outfit. If you fit the silencer bolt from the outside, the wear is accelerated.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks Robin for both pieces of information. I will ensure that the offsets are built in. It seems that the 'standard pattern' which the Spares Company holds is incorrect and my 55 years old item is correct.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Looks like Robin beat me to it. Looks like I'd better turn that bolt around! :rolleyes:
IMG_1533.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

robin

VOC Member
Norman, I forgot to mention I have some new FT106/£ or4 LH 'D' stand plates complete with sidecar fitting boss (3/4" X 20TPI) and the 2 holes for the FT290 stand clips.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi Norman, here's mine on my open D. Apart from paint, its as it was when I got the bike.
Regards Mac
20190916_180007.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks chaps. It is nice to know one can rely on the joint wisdom of the members here. Interesting that the one that I have from about 55 years ago has the rear few inches not just bent but offset by about 3/16". That way the rear part is parallel with the front and is perpendicular to the bolt which holds the silencer on. The two photographs seem to show plates with a bend in rather than a 'joggle', if that is the correct term I wonder how many more parts have had 'design drift' over the years?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Interesting. One would assume that all these are originals and therefore 65+ years old. I remember buying mine a few years after I bought the bike in the early sixties, that is after they had stopped making the bikes. Perhaps there were different styles right from the early days. Certainly mine is 'joggled' three to four inches from the rear.