Photo of the Day Series 'A' Twin V1027

G

Graham Smith

Old Harry (EAR236) at the Bristol Show in 2011. Photo courtesy: Stuart Metcalfe.

IMG_6594.JPG

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Quite a few A Twins had EAR registration, what part of the country did that represent?

delboy

VOC Member
EAR registrations were from Hertfordshire.
Various EAR *** supplied to Vincent HRD, but sadly neither Hertfordshire or Vincent's recorded which one went to which bike, as far as I know. [Other areas/manufacturers may have done]

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
EAR registrations were from Hertfordshire.
Various EAR *** supplied to Vincent HRD, but sadly neither Hertfordshire or Vincent's recorded which one went to which bike, as far as I know. [Other areas/manufacturers may have done]
EAR means issued by Hertfordshire council between May 1938 & January 1939.

The factory records never recorded UK registrations as those were usually applied for by the dealerships or owners after the bike left the factory. There was a few bikes which the factory actually got registered themselves, but just because a bike has an Hertfordshire issued registration doesn't mean that the factory applied for it.

When the UK registration system went over to the newly created DVLA in the late 1970s quite a few councils kept their records for a while and then in the early 1980s destroyed their records (or just lost them). Hertfordshire Council was one of those and their archive department has very little motor vehicle records left.

Simon

Chris Marshall

VOC Member
EAR means issued by Hertfordshire council between May 1938 & January 1939.
The factory records never recorded UK registrations as those were usually applied for by the dealerships or owners after the bike left the factory. There was a few bikes which the factory actually got registered thenselves but just because a bike has an Hertfordshire issued reg doesn't mean that the factory applied for it.

When the UK registration system went over to the newly created DVLA in the late 1970's quite a few councils kept their records for a while and then in the early 1980's destroyed their records (or just lost them). Hertfordshire Council was one of those and their archive department has very little motor vehicle records left.

Simon
I think my dad is responsible for collecting quite a few registration numbers and engine/ frame numbers and recording them in his blue books!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Dave and Yvonne Johnson in the background!

Is that rider's footrest arrangement standard?
The riders footrests are home made like my children as I hate having sore shins as I fold my footrests up ever time I stop, later I bought a pair from Mac Read that fold slightly forward. The standard foot rests are like post war Comets, always hit one shins.