F: Frame Series ‘C’ Touring Comet - Alloy Plate (Rear Footrest Mount Timing Side)

MJohnS

Forum User
VOC Member
I am hoping someone can advise me on the following issue please. I'm in the process of rebuilding my Vincent Comet (C touring) and cannot seem to find out how the alloy plate (rear footrest mount gearbox side) is mounted. I have a thick and thin alloy circular spacer but they are of different widths. When I stripped the Comet I took dozens of photographs but unfortunately none of them give me a clear picture of the way this is assembled. Also, there appears to be no diagram in the parts catalog associated with this assembly?

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think the thin one goes between the rear frame and the big alloy plate,
With the thick one on the other side of same plate.
Good Luck, Bill.
Sorry the first photo was wrong.

Attachments

• 500cc_crankcases_Page_1.jpg
    500cc_crankcases_Page_1.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 31
  • rfm_assembly.jpg
    rfm_assembly.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 30

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Distance piece =FT109, 1/2" x 1 3/8" x 5/8" and FT109/1, 3/8" x 3/4" x 5/8" Larger one on FT33 and smaller one on 3/8" B.S.F. bolt, possibly 687, but this bolt not shown on Comet drawing. Check this for length! Usual practice was any nut going onto painted alloy has plain washer.

MJohnS

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the response to my query. The RFM diagram being particularly useful as I now realise that the two spacers in question (F109 and F112) are as Bill suggests; either side of the plate.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes the Comet has some things that are not printed in the old days,
I think the one I sent was a new one from Bill Parr ?.
If I see any photo on here that's interesting, I copy it and put it in my pictures, On the computer,
Always handy for later ?.
The Twins don't have that spacer next to the rear frame,
But you can use the same rear frame for both, Which a lot of us did, To build a Bike !.
This Forum has been very handy for me lately, Got a few GOOD deals,
With the help of this Forum !!, And the Super Blokes on it.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Tricky getting things across in words ?,
That's why I like photos, As a Mechanic I could not understand books,
Till I got it apart in my hands.
Cheers Bill.