Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This may be helpful

danno

Non-VOC Member
This may be helpful

Thanks for the links. These will be useful.
Will read through the posts soon but just read this from there:
‘I trashed two of the white plastic gears , one because primary was a little loose and the other who knows , now running steel’.

I have a nice new white nylon gear but not sure if I should fit it. Will read up anyway
on experiences.

oexing

VOC Member
The nylon gear should be quite allright, because the ridiculous "power" of the Alton is NOT your problem. After all it just requires only a quarter of a hp. BUT the harsh behaviour of the triplex chain from the Evil Shock Aggravator is the root of all dynamo and sprocket troubles.
I am just playing with a limited slip hub for the dynamo so that would be great for this place. Not that I would need it for my engines - ESA mod - but for inspiration in the forum. So maybe you could come up with your own slip hub on the Alton?

Vic

danno

Non-VOC Member
BUT the harsh behaviour of the triplex chain from the Evil Shock Aggravator is the root of all dynamo and sprocket troubles.

Vic

Thanks for the reply. I think it’s best to fit the nylon sprocket after reading about wear issues. Rather that than the chain.
Can’t be a widespread problem as Alton still use them.

oexing

VOC Member
My guess, Altons are run without any problems on all other types non-Vincent. It is just the harsh chain drive from its ESA on Vincents that destroys chain rollers and Alton gears. So either you do something about the ESA design OR figure out a slip clutch to the dynamo sprocket to prevent shocks going into the Alton internals - or any other alternators with heavy rotors.
But even so, you may make life safer for your alternator but you are still stuck with your ESA: Vincent engines continue to break triplex chains obviously even today, when reading MPH carefully. A fact I could not possibly accept so I did the consequential obvious . . . .

Vic

danno

Non-VOC Member
My guess, Altons are run without any problems on all other types non-Vincent. It is just the harsh chain drive from its ESA on Vincents that destroys chain rollers and Alton gears. So either you do something about the ESA design OR figure out a slip clutch to the dynamo sprocket to prevent shocks going into the Alton internals - or any other alternators with heavy rotors.
But even so, you may make life safer for your alternator but you are still stuck with your ESA: Vincent engines continue to break triplex chains obviously even today, when reading MPH carefully. A fact I could not possibly accept so I did the consequential obvious . . . .

Vic

Thanks. Not sure what ESA is. Have looked but can’t find the full name.
So the ESA isn’t a problem when the original Miller dynamo is used. The setup with the 6v Miller/JG converter on my Rapide has been pretty much ‘fit and forget’.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Engine Shock Absorber is the gadget on the engine main shaft, under the front smaller bump on the primary chain cover. It was modified for the Series Ds and Vic (oexcing) preferers the design of the BMW one. See some of his earlier posting for photographs. It would be a relatively straight forwards task to make these to fit Vincents with modern CNC machinery but how many would sell is the problem. There is one made in Australia which looks similar to the original Vincent item but it has more springs. Dick Sherwin had one on his oversized engined sidecar outfit but found that it did not move much if all the springs were fitted and removing some of the springs increased the movement.

oexing

VOC Member
Norman,
my guess is a revisioned ESA that really does its job would sell in hundreds, even four figures. Vincent drivers would be willing to junk the old crap for saftey reasons - breaking triplex chains and wrecking dynamos and alternators . All repair work on cases and f****d Altons will be a LOT dearer than a set of a new designed ESA. Obviously the Spares Parts Company is too stupid to see a business case for selling hundreds at the cost of junking stock sets of two figures I believe.
No need to discuss the effectiveness of my BMW inspired design, a lot more manufacturers do same type, not to speak of maybe millions of BMW bikies with that progreessive shape. Pictures in older threads here.

Vic

P1050216.JPG

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the info.
Would be interesting to hear from anybody who has fitted one with supplied sprocket and long term use experience.
I’ve bought the Alton now but In the short term, I could replace the JG regulator with a more modern one and see if I can get a charge back.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What ever sprocket is used, It has to be meshed right, Which takes a bit of time, And the bushes in the chainwheel not too worn out, And the Chain tension, Not too loose or too tight.
Oldhaven gave you a bit to read, Where blokes have fitted a steel one, And it's been good.
Cheers Bill.