Security of Motorcycles

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The manufacturer claim it's fully waterproof. The alarm is in a plastic enclosure inside the mainbody. So far I have had no problem with water including a very wet Saturday morning at the lakes rally.

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I too have a padlock that has an alarm if it is moved-only cost me ten quid {cheapskate, I hear you say}-but however good a lock is, it is not "van proof!" A large lump of concrete or a sidecar are fair deterrents. We must all keep our eyes and ears open!

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Tracker systems are no deterant to a pro thief, they worked out a long time ago how to block a transmitter, microdot systems are no visual deterant. An Almax chain fixed to another bike or imovable object will at least deter or defeat the van equiped villan. Alarms are only any good if anybody bothers to react when they go of, which these days is rare.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Looks like I scared him with my questions as I have had no reply.

How do they block the signal from the tracker?

There are stickers with the microdot system. I would put them all over the bike.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Some form of scanning devise which blocks the transmitter signal, also some use a cover which blocks the signal. High value vehicles are shipped in containers with a signal blocking devise installed in the roof. I would not put any faith in stickers re microdots, alarms etc, most thiefs will steal regardless if something is easy pickings.

jim burgess

VOC Member
Tracey, thank you for the ground work in this area I would be very interested in the outcome of your investigation into tracker devices.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
I suppose the idea is that if you have visible security devices the thief moves to the next bike.

I also think the Annual Rally incident was opportunists and not professional thieves. But I may be wrong.

In that situation the tracker would have alerted you as soon as the bike moved.Before they even got it in the van. As would a loud alarm.

So what is the answer? A combination of sturdy lock to another bike or fence plus alarm and the tracker if you have a few more quid to spend.

Where are we going to carry all this stuff ?

ossie

VOC Member
the gps blocker is probably usefull for vans who dont want the boss to know where they are?
hire a securior company to follow you with a van and you can park it inside when you get to your destination.
downside is they might steal the van

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
More information.

Stan has replied and I quote......

The dimensions are 64mm x 46mm x 17mm which in old money is 1.8 inches x 2½ inches x 0.65 inches.

Our development for the 6 volt system was done on a BSA Gold Star 'Cafe Racer' without any fairing or other bits. It can also be fixed (it is magnetic so that helps secure it) onto the frame in various places, such as by the oil tank or battery, depending upon the bike . Underneath the petrol tank might be suitable BUT the temperature from the engine could have an effect if it gets too hot. The operating temperatures are -20C to 55C. Being a DIY kit we have been amazed at how creative people have been in finding suitable places BUT we try not let this sort of knowledge become common place on the web site as you never who might be viewing and to use and old saying 'careless talk costs bikes'. It does have a protective casing which is weatherproof in case the location is exposed.

The professional thieves are well aware that more and more vehicles are being equipped with trackers BUT unless they know which tracker is fitted they won't know which jamming kit to use so secrecy is an essential element. Their only course, to reduce the risk, is simply move the bike a fairly short distance and leave it somewhere such a car park for a block of flats. They will drive past and if it's still there and no signs of a police 'stake out' they can be fairly certain a tracker isn't fitted. No use putting it somewhere radio signals are blocked because as soon as they move it a signal will be picked up and a warming will go out and they will be caught. The same goes for trying to take it away in a van. Whilst moving into the van or out of the van or even just opening the doors a signal may escape and a warning and location has gone out. We have one chap who whenever he opens his metal up and over garage door gets a warning message from the tracker simply because the door was blocking the GPS signal and now as soon as the signal is received the location changes from a series of zeros to a number. OK if he uses the people door and remembers to turn off the alert mode before opening main garage door. He's very happy with the arrangement because as soon as anyone even opens the door to remove the car he receives a warning.

There are definite legal problems when someone takes the ID off any item. The police are unable to link the item to a crime and even if the suspect confesses it can't be proved in court so no prosecution and the item gets returned to the suspect. Hidden ID such as a microchip is useful and is backed by EU legislation (EU504/2008 it's about horses and the human food chain but it makes it a criminal offence) and Trading Standards are required to enforce this law and without the RFID scanner (ISO 11784/5 FDXB) they would be unable to do this, so they have them and if the police or Trading Standards know that a bike has such ID they can go to where the bike might be and check.
There is another RFID system - DATATAG- but this technology is protected by patent so there are no legal obligations for any law enforcement agency to have or use the scanners. The ISO standard can be met by any company providing they are approved by ISO and this means it can be and is backed by legislation simply because it doesn't give a monopoly to any single company.

The price will reduce from £149 each to £99 if you order 10.

I'm ordering 2 anyone else want one?

http://www.rbs-propertymarking.co.uk/motorcycles_60.html