F: Frame Seat Stays

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
in the seat stay there is a spring loaded ball which is for securing FT96 AS .this small steelball is hammered deep in the stay .maybee the spring is destroyed. how can i get it out of the hole?any ideas? Erik

greg brillus

VOC Member
Use a 1/4 diameter parallel reamer and clean out the opening of the hole, this will remove the small peen marks around the top of the hole to stop the ball/spring from falling out. Blow down the hole with compressed air, and tap the housing upside down on a piece of hard wood should remove the ball/spring. If it is still tight you may need to spray some lubricant penetrating type and let it sit for a day or so and try again. Try levering the ball around with a scribe to get it moving. Once out and the hole cleaned thoroughly, place a new spring and ball down the hole and peen the top of the hole in about 3 places just near the edge with a blunt edge of a screw driver or similar with light taps from a hammer enough to stop the new ball from coming out, and no more than necessary for this...........Cheers.

erik

VOC Member
Hello Greg! i tried your method with no result. then i took my turbine (300000 revs) and a Diamond grinder and cutted two Slots in the steelball. then i took two small Levers and extracted the ball.the spring under it was in a good shape.regards Erik

davidd

VOC Member
Gene Aucott used to make these many years ago. I believe they used a valve spring. I have posted some photos of them being used on bikes. The Ed Labelle special used them also.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
But if y ou wanted to make one with a damper involved then look at the Chinese made steering dampers which I am using on the modified steering heads. They are £30 each in the UK and a little bit cheaper in mainland Europe.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I would really like to carry out a mod like this to my Rapide as opposed to going to a fully sprung seat. I can't bring myself to remove the seat struts, and have the brackets left looking useless on the rear frame. I feel as though a short section of the front springs might work fine, you only need about 40 or 50 mm of travel at most to make a big difference to the comfort.