Searching the Forum Website

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I tried the same search on another device using Chrome and found the thread along with several others.
Just for fun, I went back and tried again (not doing anything differently) on my Ipad using Google and it worked this time.

LoneStar

VOC Member
I tried again, with different results. This time the post in question was found with keywords 'pistons liner head clearance', but not with the singular 'piston'. So the process seems inconsistent, and the logic doesn't (at least sometimes) automatically include plural forms of the keywords (only 'pistons' is actually in the post). FWIW, I'm using the current Firefox version in Windows 10.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What you could do ? , Is what the wife and me do with our bank accounts !,
Write it down in a little book !, If you read something that stands out,
From such as Trev or Greg or Chankly Bore , etc, Lots of knowledge there !.

G

Graham Smith

This appears to be a verifiable bug in the software's search logic - perhaps it should be referred to the vendor for investigation?
It's not a bug, but I now think I know what you've been trying to do.

We actually had two types of searches available on the forum website.

1. The first which allowed searching posts and thread titles using exact text. This is what I think you were using. When you searched for "liner head pistons clearance" the search wouldn't have found anything, as that string in its entirety didn't exist.

2. The other type of search is probably the one you should've used, and searching for that string of text now presents you with a number of hits.

Going forward, I have removed the ability for anyone to do the first type of search, as it clearly creates confusion.

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 08.06.32.png
Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 08.06.17.png

You can enter the search facility by either of the two methods above. Both will give the same results.

Sorry for any confusion about the two types of searches.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Graham,
I’ve never used the search function on the home page. I have always gone to the forum section and used the search function in the top RH corner. Seemed logical at the time. I just did a search for my Comet thread by using the keyword Mongrel and it worked where it never did before.