Searching the Forum Website

G

Graham Smith

Are there any more features that are not obvious to users that we can use?

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 13.55.03.png

How about this button?

This is the 'share' button which allows you to share a page/thread/post.

Pages/threads/posts can be shared via e-mail, or by a variety of different social media platforms (if you've configured them on your account).

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the bookmark info Graham, I wasn’t aware of that and it will come in handy. I rely pretty heavily on the forum and my memory sucks.

I just tried another search for that thread using 4 words that are in the post. I tried searching just the section that it is posted in and got the no results message. I then tried again in all forums. Shouldn’t that bring up pages of posts?

Maybe a few folks could try the identical search and see what happens? Doesn’t like my operating system?

Advanced search

Select: Post content
Keywords: Liner piston head clearance
Posted by: greg brillus

No results found.

G

Graham Smith

The recipient has to be a Forum member to see the page?
If the person you share the link to HASN'T registered to use the forum, then they'll only be able to view the page, but not reply.

If the person you share the link to HAS registered to use the forum, then they'll be able to see and reply to the page, as long as it's a page not exclusively for VOC Members. If a non VOC Member tries to get access to a VOC Member page, then they'll be told they're not allowed to see it.

This is the message they'll see:

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 17.51.11.png

LoneStar

VOC Member
I tried the exact scenario Cyborg lists, with the same result - "No results found". Here is the text of the post being looked for:

-------------------
The problem is there are several things to measure and double check........not just the bore/liner condition.......Obviously the bore size is important, but also the height of the muff or both for a twin.......These new are 3.062" I've had some that were down to near 3.00" and some that one was 0.040" more than the other........But the absolute vital one is the height of the liner hat at the top...... So the head recess should be 0.125" depth and the liner should be more......0.127" or similar.......Once the liner/head joint have been lapped in once or twice, this figure is lost. I have a large glass surface plate that I rub the head face down, but it is quite difficult to remove a couple of thou off the head face. You can turn the barrels with an expanding mandrel in a lathe, and this will work. The oil feed hole is again another issue, most factory liners, the hole is too high up injecting oil into the rings. Once I check all these things, it is often easier and better to simply replace the complete assemblies........With modern pistons and in our hot climate, I give the twins 0.0035" clearance and singles around 0.005"........ All in a day's work........ Cheers.
------------------

The content contains all four of the keywords being searched for, is by greg brillus, and is within "all forums" - so should be found. (I also tried 'pistons', in case it considered the plural different; no results that way either.)

This appears to be a verifiable bug in the software's search logic - perhaps it should be referred to the vendor for investigation?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks for the bookmark info Graham, I wasn’t aware of that and it will come in handy. I rely pretty heavily on the forum and my memory sucks.

I just tried another search for that thread using 4 words that are in the post. I tried searching just the section that it is posted in and got the no results message. I then tried again in all forums. Shouldn’t that bring up pages of posts?

Maybe a few folks could try the identical search and see what happens? Doesn’t like my operating system?

Advanced search

Select: Post content
Keywords: Liner piston head clearance
Posted by: greg brillus

No results found.
Why not just P.M. Greg ?.