sealant and tyre (tire!) balance

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I bought a Comet whose rear wheel was so FAR out of balance that it used to leave the ground at about 45-50 mile an hour.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What is the point of balanced wheels for general road use as I spend my time avoiding pot holes and drains and general traffic (blind morons) on the road the only true benefit of perfectly balance wheels is racing at high speeds

All you need is balanced suspension and brakes that work and tyres that grip in all weathers
We are in general lucky these days that modern tyres are well made and usually not out of balance. Out of balance tyres/wheels can and do have an effect on the smoothness of a ride. If you have experienced a badly out of balance tyre it is most unpleasant and a few pounds for a balance is a cheap and easy way to improve things even at moderate speeds. Most people have their wheels balanced when they have fitted a new tyre and you can also balance your own wheels at virtually no cost. It is not compulsory but will not do any harm.
Keep looking out for those potholes, drains and especially blind morons. :)

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I bought a Comet whose rear wheel was so FAR out of balance that it used to leave the ground at about 45-50 mile an hour.
I ride a sprung hub triumph with the rear rim out of true becuase of todays traffic (Speed cameras) it does not any differance