sealant and tyre (tire!) balance

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe there are gel products to seal punctures and perhaps more importantly balance continuously your tyres
the one I have read good reports on is ride-on https://www.ride-on.com/
As per usual with US products its coverage in UK and Europe is a bit thin
any of our US friends had experience of it or anyone in UK know of other similar products?
and of course how are tube tyres in the scenario?

delboy

VOC Member
I believe there are gel products to seal punctures and perhaps more importantly balance continuously your tyres
the one I have read good reports on is ride-on https://www.ride-on.com/
As per usual with US products its coverage in UK and Europe is a bit thin
any of our US friends had experience of it or anyone in UK know of other similar products?
and of course how are tube tyres in the scenario?
Er, is this Tech Advice: Pre-war?

Colin

VOC Member
I have had PUNCTURESAFE PERMANENT recommended to me by a friend but have never used it. Does anyone have experience of this product, and is it OK in tubed tyres( for Canada" TIRES")

Comet Rider

VOC Member
I have had puncturesafe on my Comet ever since I built it.
No balancing problems
Also it didn't work when I got a bad puncture in France a few years ago.

Only thing to add, is that always tell your tyre fitter, otherwise you will get the bill for the clean up

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Ive been using Ride-on balancer/sealant for a few years now.
It balances the wheels perfectly.
I haven't had any flats with Ride on in place and that could be because it's sealing things, or because I haven't had a puncture.
The long term goal is to convert all wheels to tubeless and use Ride on balancer/sealant.
Right now I have it in the tubes as well as in the tubeless tires.
The manufacturer claims that it is somewhat effective at sealing tubes but moreso on tubeless.
The video showing the sealant shutting of leaks after the tire was repeatedly drilled with an 1/8" twist drill was quite impressive.
I'll see if I can find that.

Glen
Here it is-

Last edited:

Colin

VOC Member
Neil. When you say "a bad puncture" did the tube split open? Do you know if Puncture safe would work with a simple hole in the tube.
I have used "Gloop" in pedal cycle tyres (TIRES Canada!) with OK results. and have now got a stuff called "Slime" (great choice of names for these products) which I have not yet put in, as I have recently fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (tires)) with a Kevlar band inside the tread, and they are supposed to be very puncture resistant

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Ive used Slime in some low speed applications with mixed results. It has worked about 50% of the time.
I wouldn't use it in a bike tire as it is....too Slimey.
It is horrible sticky stuff to handle during a tire change. The Ride On is a gel, not very sticky and washes off easily. With tubeless tires it lays in the crown and does not make a big mess of the rim like Slime will.

Glen

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Puncturesafe has worked on thorns and similar.
My bad puncture was after staying at a cheap motel on the way to the last NW German rally in the Eifel. I think it was more man made if you know what I mean. I managed to get enough air into the tube to limp to a nearby Triumph dealer who fitted a new tube for me.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
What is the point of balanced wheels for general road use as I spend my time avoiding pot holes and drains and general traffic (blind morons) on the road the only true benefit of perfectly balance wheels is racing at high speeds

All you need is balanced suspension and brakes that work and tyres that grip in all weathers