Running without ESA

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
you need it....... even if you make up a rubber one giving 3 mm or better here 1/8"

the new voc spares design is only facilitating the curves to be tuely bearing to the counter lobes. no redesign in sloping angles etc

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Once upon a time, I designed gearboxes for both sidecar roadracers and motocross outfits. I learned the hard way that in both cases shock forces from the rear wheel going forward was higher than the forces from the engine. This is of cource quite obvious for a motocross outfit, but it also applies on the relative smooth roadracing track. I have no opinion on where a shock absorber in the drive train best should be. I think that the choice between on the crank, the clutch or the rear wheel is depending on the general design of the motorcycle. For an original ( or close to original) Vincent twin the only choice is where it always has been.
I'm not sure if this contributes to the ESA discussion, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard

VOC Member
All primary drive dismantled and no obvious ESA problems so it will go back as it was. The primary chain and the tensioner blade are ready for throwing in the bin so that may be what I was noticing - when you've had something so long you notice things that other riders probably wouldn't. Rear sprockets and chain, and clutch plates will be swapped while I'm at it, so hopefully transmission will back as it should be.
Don't stop the discussion, it's always nice to hear people's views.
Howard

derek

VOC Member
I once had a Royal Enfield with rubber cush drive built into the clutch, this obviously took engine shock loads: It also had a rubber cush dive rear wheel hub.

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
My Triumph 650 has cush rubbers in the clutch hub. Dynamo rotor on the crank pin (no ESA). Rear sprocket/brake drum bolted directly to the hub. So all driveline shock is taken up at the clutch center. This seems to confirm that the gearbox is the vulnerable component in the drive system and needs some type of protection against driveline shock.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Do we find any sort of transmission shock absorber in the drive train of motor cars. If not why not?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The old Cars had Springs in the Clutch Centre Plates. Cheers Bill.
I meant to put "modern motor cars" in my previous post. The last time I remember working on a car clutch was when I had to change the clutch in my Triumph TR6 back in the 70's. That clutch plate had springs on the splined centre connecting it to the friction part. Lots of cars now have front wheel drive. Do their clutches have this spring type shock absorber? My VW has two clutches.:eek: No way am I ever going to look inside that.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The 2016 Toyota Yaris has the springs:
Springs.png