Running an Alton with no battery connected

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I just put the Comet back together after installing a new piston and cylinder, and was anxious to see how it runs. I need to fix some wiring issues, so I didn't bother to connect the battery. I took a short 5 mile spin around the neighborhood. I have an early Alton, one where the regulator is potted inside a Miller lookalike regulator body. Is it harmful to run the Alton with no battery connected?

mercurycrest

VOC Member
:eek:Hi Steve,
That shouldn't hurt anything as long as the battery leads are clear of each other. BTW, did it show a charge or the lights work? My A Comet with a Lucas Magdyno will run the lights and toot the horn (barely) with just residual magnitism and no battery in the system. Of course it works a damn sight better with a proper battery. I discovered this by accident one day when I touched the horn button on a test ride with no battery on the bike and it went "BEEP!!!!":eek:
Cheers, John

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
It did show a charge, and I tried the headlight, but it did not light up. After connecting the battery today, which is in unknown condition, it still shows a charge, and the headlight still doesn't work. Needless to say, I will be troubleshooting the connections to see if I have crossed anything up.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
i have an alton on the rap,i always disconnect the battery when standing to avoid a flat battery for next time(too lazy to fit a switch! ) have started + run several times forgetting to re-connect battery (silly old git) has not done any damage yet- recommend charge battery first or test if you can.