Ron Wittich Senior TT Egli

Billbo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Greetings
I understand the current owner of the 500 Egli that was ridden in practice for the 1971 Senior TT is looking for pictures. Within FoTTofinder Bikesport Photo Archives I have found 3 shots. Could someone let him know we can help.
Wittich lapped at over 90 mph in practice, The race was cancelled until Saturday; Roger Slater had to leave the Island on Friday evening so it never took part in the race.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I read the story of the TT attempt on p. 125 of the David Wright book Vincents and the IOM. The bike also finished three 24 Hour Barcelona races. Ago was lucky that that Slater had to leave, so he was able to win the Senior and GBP 750!

Billbo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I seem to recall that, one year at the Barcelona event they had to retire the bike as they had used up all the spare cylinder heads; the valve seats kept dropping out in the intense heat!
So glad to have got rid of that Ronald McDonald avatar!

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bill, It's a shame we don't have a photo of you on my twin, For your new Avatar !!, All The Best Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Billbo,

The owner has never contacted the Egli S.O., but he would be a good bet.

David

Billbo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Bill, It's a shame we don't have a photo of you on my twin, For your new Avatar !!, All The Best Bill.
I can only find one shot of myself with Dad's '55 Series D Rapide (RGW 798) that was taken as we prepared to go to the first Dragon Rally. I did bring it across to the Island one year for the TT, he coked it up, I decoked it, he reckoned it always went better after I rode it!