Photo of the Day Rollie Free's Speed Record Attempt Practice Day V

William Edgar

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The way the salt gets everywhere on the bike, I guess it didn't matter that the chain was resting on the ground.
Yes indeed. And it was a major and extended clean up after the JEL came back from Bonneville. Even though leaving a bit of the salt on the bike might have been a "badge of honor". I personally did a lot of the cleaning.

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just out of interest, and knowing what was available for equipment, what was used to determine these Hp rating. was it done on a water brake, was this Rear wheel Hp or engine hp. Having played with a water brake, and now eddy current dynos, I'm interested.

William Edgar

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Was that at the rear wheel or at the engine main shaft?
I don't know how to answer this except to say it's what Rollie said it was. I would guess it was at the wheel, since the engine was not out of the frame from the very short time the bike arrived from the factory to when it went to Bonneville.

William Edgar

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just out of interest, and knowing what was available for equipment, what was used to determine these Hp rating. was it done on a water brake, was this Rear wheel Hp or engine hp. Having played with a water brake, and now eddy current dynos, I'm interested.
I wish I could answer this for you, but I don't have that data.

William Edgar

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This question is for Vincent historians. Sorry I can't answer it for you. Good question, though. What I know mostly about the JEL is riding it on the street solo, or 2-up with my father on the throttle. Like no other motorcycle!

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi, I think the 108 bhp must have been at the crank and even then was a Superb figure out of a 998cc engine on dope. I understand that because of the altitude on the Salt quite a lot of power is lost. With 104.6 bhp at 6540 rpm at the crank, my 1272cc racer on petrol achieved 150 mph over a flying quarter with less than a mile run in, normally seated as my photo left but with open pipes. Rollie was nearly naked and prone so this must have helped offset the power Loss, What a Brave man.
I got up to 166 mph with a dustbin fairing at the same venue with the same bike in 2003.
roy the racer.

G

Graham Smith

@William Edgar

Thanks so very much for giving us access to these valuable photographs, and also for your unique insight of the machine when you were a young lad. You just can't buy this sort of information, and it's so important we document anything like this here on our Forum Website so it's available for future generations.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi again, Thought some of you might like to see my bike with the dustbin fitted running at Brighton 2003. The Classic Bike Speed trials mentioned above were on the USAF runway at Woodbridge UK.
Roy

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_0001.jpg
    IMG_20200428_0001.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 18