Misc: Ignition RITA ? Lucas AB11 still worthwhile to install?

Joe

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
A friend of mine has this set of RITA ? Lucas AB11 equipment laying around with unknown condition.
Would You recommend to install this equipment on a BS as manufacturing has ceased.
Has it probably reached or is approaching it`s end of life?
Thanks for advice.
Cheers Joe

Attachments

• Lucas_AB11_Electronic-Amplifier_1.jpg
    Lucas_AB11_Electronic-Amplifier_1.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Lucas_AB11_Electronic-Amplifier_2.jpg
    Lucas_AB11_Electronic-Amplifier_2.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 15

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is a good ignition. I had two problems racing it as a total loss system. First, it used a lot of power to run, which for me meant charging up the battery between races. As I remember it drew about 5 amps. Second, if you left the ignition "on" by mistake, it would not work again. You had to get to the circuit board and install a new power resistor, which was not easy to do.

It worked for me for several years of racing, but others had to replace the power resistor several times.

David

fogrider

VOC Member
The AB11 boxes can be re-built now and with later components, which has reduced the current consumption by quite a bit ( apparently ).
My first twin and my sons' twin are fired by Rita. Great system. It's a shame the trigger units are no longer available.

OR, they're terrible Joe, sell it to me cheap !

brian gains

VOC Member
Lucas fitted to Black Shadow, fires up on Mikuni's, two prime kicks, ignition on then leisurely prod.

danno

Non-VOC Member
My Rapide C has Lucas Rita ignition. Been on the bike for thirty years and starts well with a good kick. I don't use the electric starter much.

Maybe could do the upgrade on it but with a new Alton fitted and indicators removed, the charge seems to be ok.

brian gains

VOC Member
running twin plug plug heads if there were any issues i'd look to the coils initally if there were a fault.
these 'capacitor, transistor board thingies' either work or they don't as far as i can see, they just don't like low voltage., do they all go to limp home retarded ignition profile in that situation?.

Joe

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks everybody for their feedback
Have forwarded to the owner so he has valid info to make a sound desicion about its future use.