G: Gearbox (Twin) Replacing Master Link On O Ring Chain

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sometimes there are good reasons to have a split link in my chain.
If I need to remove the wheel in a remote far away place for instance, England, on an adventure trip it makes life easy.
I could shorten or lengthen a chain anywhere even in the outback of Ireland.

Time to get controversial , a pressed link is not stronger than a split link in my opinion maybe wrong.
They both do the same job, pressed links are only used so mortals can easily connect or build o ring chains at home.

Endless chains are used in racing sometimes buy teams with loadsa money, made to measure fitted by an expert company in the paddock.

I always have a spare link somewhere, they are mostly hanging on jackets most are rusty as I have never had to use them.
Keep a link and a half in my wee bolt tin in the tool kit.
Again never used it but my mates have.

We have used split links on our racing bikes for ever and never had one fail ever.
That is the kiss of death.....
Note to self: pack all the chain stuff!

I have seen chain fail when racing, Isle of Man good example when a well known multi TT winner broke a chain on the last lap and in the lead.
Even the top teams get caught out with crap stuff from ebay.

The electric race bikes were hard on chains on the island they could torque twist heavy chain, very impressive.Belts solved this problem.

On to twins and chains:
The longest production bike chain was the early Honda Africa twin (90s).
The chain needed replaced at every rear tyre change around 5000 miles.
Very expensive chain many owners did not change them and got stranded.
Seen this happen many times.
Greatly interested me at the time.

Reason from Honda was, the power pulse effect of a twin engine, this had an effect on the long chain, when removed after 5000 miles of correctly oiled and tensioned chain when you turned the chain sideways to inspect wear the chain was not only worn visible by bowing but was also spiral like a spring.

Do Vincent twins have a similar effect on chains?
I do not know, I replace my chains at fairly regular intervals because I am mechanically paranoid.
I envision a slapping chain smashing the casing around the final drive.
Be interested to hear of anyone with long mileage chains on twins.
Al

Doug68

Forum User
VOC Member
Compared to crankcases (especially Vincent ones) chains are cheap as chips, so I'll keep binning perfectly 'good' parts to hopefully avoid a big mess.
I road race modern stuff and the rivet links are easy enough to deal with when you have the right tool, shortening and lengthening a chain is no problem at all then provided a new rivet links are on hand.
I don't think strength is the issue with split links, I believe it's the fish clips, used more than once, fitted not just right, knocked in the wrong direction are the real issue, summing it up there's more potential I think for it to go wrong than a rivet link long term. Hence why they're not used oem anymore, installed and maintained by a correctly educated person a split link should be fine, but I'm sure rivet links are technically better.

Each to their own though, so happy riding ;)

vibrac

VOC Member
Ron Kemp had a 2BA screw sticking up near the end of the chain guard on his Egli Comet he could hook the chain on it when removing the wheel so nothing went in the mud. Clever guys dont even split the chain on a standard Vincent just loop it over and so it seems you need NO tools to take out a Vincent back wheel...

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I also never split the chain on my twin when removing the rear wheel. And never had trouble with the split master link. Oops. I'll have to take that back. In 1965 or so, I lost the rear chain on my Atlas due to the master link coming off. I didn't have much money in those days, so things got used beyond their use-by dates. I got home by hooking the two ends of the chain (found on the side of the road) together with baling wire. By just feathering the clutch I could get a half mile or so before having to repeat the exercise. I was some 20 miles from home. Chain and sprockets got changed after that.

Trickymicky

VOC Member
If clearance on the outside of the chain is tight, with a risk of something interfering with the spring clip, it may be beneficial to fit the master link the other way round, so that the spring clip is on the other side of the chain, closed end still facing direction of travel, providing there is more clearance that side.

Colin

VOC Member
I'm not saying this is the right way to do it but what I do is use cheap, non "O" or "X" ring chain which I clean and lube and replace fairly frequently.
It SEEMS (I have not done any scientific measurements etc) to mostly wear the chain but not the sprockets.
. At my advanced stage of senile decay, coupled with too many bikes (two with shaft drive OHHH sorry!) I don't do that many miles on each bike, so what do I know??