SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) Replace Rear "76 Koni" Damper on Series B (2501)? Advise please

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Gents

I have only ever ridden my recently acquired Series B so don't know what the ride should be like. Bike was totally refurbished by Mike White years ago. Picture included, it has a Koni shock with "76" on it so assuming that was the year. Any reason to replace-with VOC stock damper? How would I know if there would be any ride improvement? Love some advice here...Thx Mark

1609293525991.png

1609292970299.png

Albervin

VOC Member
Mark, that is a model 76 Koni, one of the best shock absorbers made for a Vincent. It is a 76-1230 which is adjustable for three damper settings. To adjust the damping you remove the damper, remove the bump stop rubber by pushing down through the small hole on the top. Then compress the damper fully, rotate the top and bottom in opposite directions while holding the unit fully closed. You will feel a little click as it changes the damping rate. I forget which direction increases and decreases the rate. When fitted on the front they were initially a bit stiff even on the softest settings but on the rear they are perfect. No need to change it as they are also rebuildable. I hope that helps.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is also worth checking out the dampers that AVO in the UK provide for the rear of a Vin. There are at least three different models and they are a much more modern and adjustable damper that earlier ones.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think Koni's are a bit too hard, Even on the back,
It depends what the roads are like, In the UK they are Shocking !!.
If you are running standard seat fittings, It's worth making sure the seat damper knobs
Are not tight, In fact Vincent Brake says we should make them so they are a bearing,
ie No sticking, I oil them, But the knobs need a bit of loctite on the threads,
Or they will shake off and be Gone !!

Albervin

VOC Member
Bill, I used to get the most awful squeak from my rear end!! I added a few drops of sewing machine oil to the seat drum friction material and now all sweet. Just nipped so a ball seats in a hole.I think Richardson or Stevens even mention this. When you say " In the UK they are Shocking" are you making a pun or a statement? Konis always needed to be bedded down due their very close tolerances but then they just do what they are supposed to. Over 20,000 miles on mine and still set on the middle position. However, I will say Aussie roads are rough. I also note that many people have springs fitted that are much too strong. Number one rule for road suspension is soft springs and strong damping.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bit of both Albervin, Soon as I saw Shocking, I had a smile,
But I don't remember them being this bad in the 60s and 70s,
I used to ride like a bit of a Twit, Like a lot of us, But I don't think I would have got away with it !!,
The roundabouts have great lumps out of them, Just when you are cranked over !, I think it's the Huge Lorries now ?,
Plus lost lorry fuel !.

Albervin

VOC Member
Bit of both Albervin, Soon as I saw Shocking, I had a smile,
But I don't remember them being this bad in the 60s and 70s,
I used to ride like a bit of a Twit, Like a lot of us, But I don't think I would have got away with it !!,
The roundabouts have great lumps out of them, Just when you are cranked over !, I think it's the Huge Lorries now ?,
Plus lost lorry fuel !.
Bill. As an Anglo Australian I would say you are a funny bastard sometimes. Yes, the diesel is an issue here. About a month ago I had a ride from heaven. Over 600km of fine open roads with clear blue skies and cool temps. I flowed around a corner at about 70 mph (130 kph) and whoaaa... diesel. The downhills into bends are all ramped up by the trucks and another problem here is the truck tyre blow-outs. Tyre rubber and steel belt laid across the road that can cause an instant puncture. Happy New Year.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Re. #6 above and the comments about soft springs and stiff damping. This is of relevance to those who fit the modified steering head and let me supply the damper and springs. Greg likes to fit very strong springs. He does not fit AVO dampers so I do not know what the spec of his damper is. Over here in the UK and Europe everyone has found that softer springs and the AVO damper on one of its lower settings give the best ride. This is for road and touring use. Greg likes to fit 45 lbs/inch springs whereas over hear twins with riders up to about 200/210 lbs find 36 lbs/inch, with 3" of preload, more comfortable. This is over a wide range of road surfaces from almost unmade to motorway standard.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bill. As an Anglo Australian I would say you are a funny bastard sometimes. Yes, the diesel is an issue here. About a month ago I had a ride from heaven. Over 600km of fine open roads with clear blue skies and cool temps. I flowed around a corner at about 70 mph (130 kph) and whoaaa... diesel. The downhills into bends are all ramped up by the trucks and another problem here is the truck tyre blow-outs. Tyre rubber and steel belt laid across the road that can cause an instant puncture. Happy New Year.
I try to be Funny , But the Wife thinks NOT,
I had 2 big slides on my Big BMW a few years back, Even stopped , Thought it was puncture,
Not a Bike you want to fall off, Too heavy,
But it was Diesel, Was not going fast, Now I try to stay out of the left/inside lane on roundabouts,
I live near the main road to the South, So a lot of lorry traffic.
Happy / Better !, New Year to All. Bill.