G: Gearbox (Twin) Removing the spindle G34

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello all,

Whilst I have the dynamo out and can get to the G34 spindle I thought of putting the locking arrangement in to stop it unscrewing itself.

Is it safe to just unscrew G34? Presumably it has to go in after the internals have been put in place, and I think that the cam plate rests on the selectors, but I wanted to check that I wouldn’t hear a whole load of clattering noises from the depths of the gearbox when I do!

Cheers,

Ed.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Does your spindle have a tapped hole? A screw with a drilled head in the hole can be safety wired to a new hole in the corner of the dynamo cradle.

eharris

VOC Member
Does your spindle have a tapped hole? A screw with a drilled head in the hole can be safety wired to a new hole in the corner of the dynamo cradle.
It certainly has a hole that might have a thread in it, but it also has many years of crud in it!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think you would run a great risk of losing position of the camplate, the selector pawl spring would push the camplate out of position once the camplate spindle is removed, I suppose you could remove the pawl spring first, but you would need to strip the primary chaincase to do so, and even then I think you would be running a risk of the camplate not remaining in position for reassembly.

eharris

VOC Member
I think you would run a great risk of losing position of the camplate, the selector pawl spring would push the camplate out of position once the camplate spindle is removed, I suppose you could remove the pawl spring first, but you would need to strip the primary chaincase to do so, and even then I think you would be running a risk of the camplate not remaining in position for reassembly.
Ah, thanks. That is what I was worrying about…

eharris

VOC Member
It certainly has a hole that might have a thread in it, but it also has many years of crud in it!
It did turn out to have a 1/4" W thread in it, that cleaned up well enough in-situ with a tap that I can now get a drilled cap screw in.

I have some plated steel wire about 25thou dia, will that be ok for locking it?

Ed.