• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Removing carbon from exhaust pipes.

jim burgess

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
I have a very old set of pipes and silencer that I intend to rechrome. The plater is agreeable but has asked me to remove as much carbon as possible. The downpipes I can do mechanically. BUT, I have been advised to use caustic soda for the absortion type silencer. Can anybody give me any tips on how to go about this? I have heard many bad things... How do you dispose of the waste product, what do you store it in, how do you use it, is there a better way? There must be a way!?
cheers
jim burgess

vibrac

VOC Member
Not being domestic I cannot be sure,but there are things called sinks in parts of the house used sometimes as temporary workshops ('kitchens' they are call i believe)and I overheard once that the pipes attached to them are called drains and that caustic soda is used to clear them
I know no more than that :)

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Unfortunately you must use a chemical rather than mechanical means of cleansing as carbon residues make the plater's baths very unhappy. If using caustic soda add soda to warm water, slowly- not the reverse!

hrdsuper90

VOC Member
For the silencer, why not make some good fitting wood bungs and seal them in with silicone ?
Afterwards drill a hole insert a large screw and remove.
Worked for me, Chris

Martyn Goodwin

VOC Member
Great info in this thread. I just cleaned up 2 sets of exhausts using paint stripper and a scotch bright pad. Worked a treat in removing long baked on oil and grease. Then a quick buff on the bench polisher with a bit of paste and all is pristine....Martyn

Warning! This thread is more than 9yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.