FT: Frame (Twin) Removal of lower Headrace Cone.

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
The Headrace cup's (FT128) and cone's (FT124) on my 'D' are quite badly pitted and before re-assembly they need replacing. I can see how to remove the cups and upper cone - what is the best way to remove (and replace) the cone from the steering column?
Thanks.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you have a decent vice well clamped down, hold the base of the steering stem and use a very fine chisel and tap it in under the race. If the race cracks, as they are very hard and brittle, then it will come off easily. if not then keep tapping all the way round to avoid damaging the stem itself, Once is has moved a little then two levers underneath it can be used to prise it upwards equally on both sides. The large washer, FF36, will protect the steering stem itself unless you are very brutal.

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you have a decent vice well clamped down, hold the base of the steering stem and use a very fine chisel and tap it in under the race. If the race cracks, as they are very hard and brittle, then it will come off easily. if not then keep tapping all the way round to avoid damaging the stem itself, Once is has moved a little then two levers underneath it can be used to prise it upwards equally on both sides. The large washer, FF36, will protect the steering stem itself unless you are very brutal.
Great - thanks, I'll give that a go.