F: Frame Relacement For FT 155

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi:
Years back I obtained a replacement for the FT 155 that was not threaded on both ends as
I recall. The right side had a 'spud' on it that indexed with the cowl cover, and on the left a tommy
bar FT156AS was used.
The assembly allowed on to remove the cowl without using wrenches.
I just took a 200 mile ride and both were gone when I got home. It had been a while
since I changed oil or took the cowl off, so the tommy bar must have come loose.
Coventry has never heard of this assembly, so I bought a regular FT 155 and a new tommy
bar, the same one used on the rear mudguard.
I'm wondering if it may be a Norman Walker product. Anyone heard of this FT 155
replacement?
Best,
Carl Hungness

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Is he still making parts? Do you have contact info for him? I JUST found his e mail, and hope it is current. I don't know how his health is or if he is still making parts, but it sure looks like something he made, first class and ingenious. I need another one. Thanks Bruce..next time you take yours off I'd appreciate a photo and measurements if you get a chance. I could cobble one together from two pieces and hide the joint under the cowl.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Nothing to do with me, Norman Walker, but in the Kent and Sussex area a lot of people have made something similar. Generally these are smaller than the item you refer to as one does not need that amount of leverage.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Nothing to do with me, Norman Walker, but in the Kent and Sussex area a lot of people have made something similar. Generally these are smaller than the item you refer to as one does not need that amount of leverage.
I feel certain Trevor made the piece. As far as being smaller, the one I lost was just a clone of the original with a round 'spud' on the right side that indexed into the cowl, and the other end is threaded, so it accepts the little tommy bar. She worked a treat and I've had it on for years. Must have been my fault not to check it recently.

vibrac

VOC Member
Not a difficult item when I had a cowl I made mine in aluminum hex bar, after all what is stainlesss against another ounce saved?

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Not a difficult item when I had a cowl I made mine in aluminum hex bar, after all what is stainlesss against another ounce saved?
The right side end of the one Trevor made was no easy trick to do, it was round and had been milled-machined to fit the cowl notch perfectly.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've seen them before on bikes here, looks like a smaller version of the rear axle lipped nut, but without the hex on he outside.......the tang locates in the slot in the right hand side front engine plate.