Red brake shoes

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
quote" Cool workshop"

Sorry, the photo of the brakes was taken in the house. The workshop pretty much looks like a workshop.

Last edited:

Glyn Baxter

Forum User
VOC Member
I think you will find that the Vincent Company used woven MZ41 Ferodo linings for a long time. I recall the red and green linings coming out in the middle/late 60's or early 70's for use on the respective shoes in each drum although I forget which went on the leading one. Each lining was a pure moulded colour without any other materials added. I don't think anyone had even heard of AM4 in those days but if these powerful brakes do indeed have flecks of aluminium in the green lining they are certainly later than the original green type.
And yes it seems the AM$'s were originally developed for milk floats - and taxis.
Glyn Baxter

highbury731

VOC Member
So are there modern equivalents of AM4 and MS5? Ones we can get bonded on now?

Some years ago, a racer of my acquaintance wrote to Ferodo asking about a lining labelled RM4. They replied referring to RM2. Anyone ever heard of RM4?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I think you will find that the Vincent Company used woven MZ41 Ferodo linings for a long time. I recall the red and green linings coming out in the middle/late 60's or early 70's for use on the respective shoes in each drum although I forget which went on the leading one. Each lining was a pure moulded colour without any other materials added. I don't think anyone had even heard of AM4 in those days but if these powerful brakes do indeed have flecks of aluminium in the green lining they are certainly later than the original green type.
And yes it seems the AM$'s were originally developed for milk floats - and taxis.
Glyn Baxter

So does that mean that in the 1950's and 60's road tests where the reviewers rave about the great braking ov Vincents they were (most likely) using the MZ41 linings?

And how would the performance of those MZ41's compare to what we can get hold of today?

M

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The rave reveiws in road tests are all to be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt! If an un-enthusiastic report were to be printed, the magazine in question would never, ever, be given another of that manufacturers products ever again. That's the way it was "back then"

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I tend to think that the braking figures were probably fairly accurate. I am tired of banging on about this, but the construction of the steel brake plate lends itself to progressive and sometimes lethal degeneration. (A bit like Yours Truly, responded the Chorus!) You MUST ensure that the shoe pivot pins are parallel, and remain so. You must also strengthen the cam boss and the brake anchor pin. I bet my dog's dinner that any 60 year old well-used plate will have pivot pins that look like a psychotic's divining rod. It is not hard to re-engineer the plot without going to the expense of alloy or 8" plates and brakes. Gentlemen, I await your encomiums or howls of censure.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yair, nuffink like raisin the tenner of the debait, is there! Incidentally a Bonneville participant has said he just "straightens" all the parts mentioned- rather a silly approach I would have thought!