Recommended restorers?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I'll let you know shortly as I've just had a day with Francois Grosset to fit a starter and if weather is good will detour over to Breast before heading to Poitiers.
bananaman

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Ended up having an extra day with Francois so came directly here and dry all the way but it was cold but OK in my triple lined one piece suit, hands hot too , the feet area will have to have some attention soon though, nice day though and little traffic, saw three other motorcycles on the other side. They all waved too, happy bunch we be. Jobs for daughter when the restaurants are closed.
bananaman

marshmallow

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Don't be sorry, apologies, if you think any comments were inappropriate but you did get a lot of hopefully constructive information before you clarified the situation with your machine. One point that may be of use is that if you go ahead with the electric starter I believe two things are necessary for their longevity and performance. One , an ignition system which will prevent kickback at low rpm and two the biggest high output battery you can possibly fit along with suitably sized cables. My road Egli (1150cc and in a state of tune about as high as practicable for road use) was marginal with a good quality 12 AH battery , the bike has NO kickstart facility as I cannot risk further injury to my knees. The bike has a Bob Dunn system driving directly to the mainshaft and works perfectly now I run a 17 AH sealed Red Top high output battery. It is possible that newer Lithium batteries will work successfully but are likely to be very expensive to get the level of reserve power I enjoy. Assume you intend to use some form of high output 12 generator ?.

Hello jim, how is the starter motor now? I have a starter motor from the same source. It has fallen apart through misalignment and poor quality. I would just like to know if yours is standing up? kind regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

eglijim

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello jim, how is the starter motor now? I have a starter motor from the same source. It has fallen apart through misalignment and poor quality. I would just like to know if yours is standing up? kind regards.
Never had any issues with the starter itself but the bike is currently undergoing some engine updating (1200/ 92 bore ) and a few other bits as it has had a hard life as a development hack. I believe the early starters wre jet ski units but only because they were identical to the M/C versions but much cheaper to obtain. Bob has I think made several changes to the design and components over the years. maybe a direct enquiry could bring dividends. Mine incedentally has an extended mainshaft with an outrigger bearing to stabilise a Lucas alternator in a modified chaincase.

marshmallow

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Never had any issues with the starter itself but the bike is currently undergoing some engine updating (1200/ 92 bore ) and a few other bits as it has had a hard life as a development hack. I believe the early starters wre jet ski units but only because they were identical to the M/C versions but much cheaper to obtain. Bob has I think made several changes to the design and components over the years. maybe a direct enquiry could bring dividends. Mine incedentally has an extended mainshaft with an outrigger bearing to stabilise a Lucas alternator in a modified chaincase.

Hi jim, How long have you been running it before the engine updating?

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m away from home,so I can’t check,but in the recent Chicago Section newsletter, there are photos of the Alton starter. Maybe a subscriber on this Forum can clarify?