Photo of the Day Recently Restored Comet

G

Graham Smith

Recently restored Comet on its first run out in the Yorkshire Dales last year. Photo courtesy: Andrew Morton.

Recently restored Comet on its first run in out the Yorkshire Dales last year Andreew Morton.jpeg

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've never seen a better job on mudguards! For correct routing and length (28 1/2") of H.T. leads see photos of Rapide and Comet power units in "Richardson." Give a little twist to the lead before clipping to the return oil line to kick the lead away from the fins. This also prevents the acorn nut loosening. You've obviously had to compromise due to a rear head being used. What carburettor did you sneak in under there?

Last edited:

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
See the article "Adjusting Vincent Front Brakes" on the Britbike Vincent Forum, page 1 as I note all your adjustment is already taken up! Are you missing the washer under the head of the rear solid axle? Missing in the Parts drawing, but shown clearly in the line drawing on page 38 of the Rider's Handbook. I'm not nit-picking, but it is a bloody good build by the looks of it. Cheers from Australia.

Last edited:

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
I've never seen a better job on mudguards! For correct routing and length (28 1/2") of H.T. leads see photos of Rapide and Comet power units in "Richardson." Give a little twist to the lead before clipping to the return oil line to kick the lead away from the fins. This also prevents the acorn nut loosening. You've obviously had to compromise due to a rear head being used. What carburettor did you sneak in under there?
The engine has had a rebuilt at some time and a twin rear head fitted. The tank has been modified to allow an Amal mono bloc to be fitted with a modified inlet stub. Will have a look at the HT lead routing to move away from barrel fins.

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
See the article "Adjusting Vincent Front Brakes" on the Britbike Vincent Forum, page 1 as I note all your adjustment is already taken up! Are you missing the washer under the head of the rear solid axle? Missing in the Parts drawing, but shown clearly in the line drawing on page 38 of the Rider's Handbook. I'm not nit-picking, but it is a bloody good build by the looks of it. Cheers from Australia.
Got the front brakes down to do as I have used all the adjustment as you mention. brakes work well at moment. Thanks for spotting the missing washer.