SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) Rear suspension springs

Damien McGouran

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bill, in short I don't know. All good valid questions. I do intend going over the front of the bike but after I have finished dealing with the rear end, the centre stand and fitting the electric start system.
Essentially my bike was more of a trailer queen for the last 16 years that I know about, possibly a lot longer before that. The pervious owner before the 16 years, owned it for 33 years. If the odometer is correct, the bike hasn't travelled more than 1500 miles since 1972! My guess is it was more a trophy than a riders machine. I intend to change that and use the bike.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning Damien, Best get the bike sorted before doing the stand,
To get the stand to work really good it has to be at the right height ?,
Look at photos of other bikes and you will see yours is a little Tall at the Front and Rear !,
Makes so much difference.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, Nice Bike, Even got the right bell mouths on the Carb's,
Might be a fast one ?,
Have a think about an Hydraulic Steering damper, £50 plus a few easy steel plates ?.

Funny I have just bought an old rear Cylinder Head, And it's already been Modified for
Speed !, Cut down valve guides and ported for 30 mm Carb',
You just don't know what has been done to these old Bikes, After all these years !,
I find it very interesting !, Cheers Bill.

Damien McGouran

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a plan to lower the seat height where the mounting lug on the 'frame' will be touching the bottom of the seat. It probably will result in needing to move the tool tray, but that's a small price in my world if I can get my feet on the ground LOL

timetraveller

VOC Member
There is one other thing to consider at this stage. If you want more comfort and don't mind a non standard look then you can fully support the rear of the seat. This makes a big difference to comfort, particularly for any pillion passenger. If this is something you might do then one standard spring (F84/1) and one sidecar spring, F84/0 will help to take the extra load.