F: Frame Rear spring box springs

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a question about the spring claws, does anyone know if these are original or not?

It’s taken off a spring that’s been on a bike since at least the early 90’s but I’ve never seen one like this and it does not fit a new spring (without fettling)..

Mark

Attachments

• F9D7BBA8-9425-45DF-B35D-6710711F0F13.jpeg
    F9D7BBA8-9425-45DF-B35D-6710711F0F13.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 853149B0-BC5B-4337-AE68-ED6F58DC731E.jpeg
    853149B0-BC5B-4337-AE68-ED6F58DC731E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

Dinny

VOC Member
Thanks Marcus, they are steel. They came off my series C but will now end up on my series A which were missing.

I just need to find a brass set for my C now..

Mark

A_HRD

VOC Member
Mark, check what thread it is. Series A were usually 7/16 (Whit Form) x 20 (I have the correct hex thin-nuts for them in ss) - but others were known to exist! Series B/C were all 7/16 BSF x 18.

It has been my experience over the years that very few B/C claws fit the springs properly without much fettling of both. Some I could never make fit at all - without such a wild tilt it would distort the spring-boxes.

Peter B

Dinny

VOC Member
Peter,

Thanks for the info, they are threaded 7/16 BSF the same as post war.

Cheers

Mark

clevtrev

VOC Member
Mark, check what thread it is. Series A were usually 7/16 (Whit Form) x 20 (I have the correct hex thin-nuts for them in ss) - but others were known to exist! Series B/C were all 7/16 BSF x 18.

It has been my experience over the years that very few B/C claws fit the springs properly without much fettling of both. Some I could never make fit at all - without such a wild tilt it would distort the spring-boxes.

Peter B
You don`t really expect to be produced alike ? especially the form that they are.