FT: Frame (Twin) Rear mudguard loose

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
The lower rear mudguard bolt on my Series C Rapide is missing and the guard is loose.
There's not a lot of room to see and I'm not sure if it's just the bolt or whether there should be a spacer too.
Looks like I'll need to remove the wheel anyway which will be a first but I do need new tyres anyway.
Is it just a standard bolt?
Any help appreciated.

vibrac

VOC Member
How anyone can live without even a cheap Vincent parts list I do not know:eek: . If I understand where you mean then, Officially* you need a 506 a 590 and a 91 that translates to a
1/4BSF X 3/4 HEX BOLT,1/4 SPRING WASHER AND 1/4 BSF FULL NUT. in fact you dont even need a parts list book the MO drawings are on the web and the parts are on the vincent spares webshop.
*Officially means there is always someone who knows better than PCV

upload_2017-6-12_12-17-36.png

danno

Non-VOC Member
Great thanks. I do have a spares list but didn't know about the online drawings.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks. It's an alloy mudguard fitted when the bike was restored in the 90's.
I have boxes of old BSF nuts and bolts so should be able to find something.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Bingo! Found my spare parts list plus a Vin-Parts International parts catalogue.
I'd just mislaid my Vincent info folder.
Can see the diagram now and what I need.
Thanks.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Hi
The lower rear mudguard bolt on my Series C Rapide is missing and the guard is loose.
There's not a lot of room to see and I'm not sure if it's just the bolt or whether there should be a spacer too.
Looks like I'll need to remove the wheel anyway which will be a first but I do need new tyres anyway.
Is it just a standard bolt?
Any help appreciated.
There is usually at least one cause of hardware loss at the rear end. The bolts F69 that hold the rear stand must be tight enough on the Thackeray washers to prevent vibration; in other words, snug enough to have to lightly push the stand down. You also need all the reinforcing strips, and an extra transverse one across under the mudguard between the upper eyes of the FT22/4 stays is good insurance. Part no. 808 is often overlooked as well. Note rivets 591 are fitted from the inside then trimmed else they sometimes foul the stand catch. I tend to favour Nyloc or Aerotight nuts where they can't be seen!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The bolts rattled out of my rear guard on a Sunday when I was 150 miles from home. I was able to get some string at a restaurant to hold the assembly up and not rotate backwards. Luckily, in the next town, a hardware store was open and I bought and installed a handful of 1/4" UNC nuts and bolts and get back home without further ado. It was a bit of a blessing, while I was installing the bolts, I discovered my sprocket bolts were loose, so I was able to take care of that, too.