Rear lighting and wheel shimming?

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So Today:

I Re-adjusted the wheel bearing shims on the rear of my C Shadow to gain the needed play at the wheel and removed the drag from the improperly shimmed brake plates. I
also eliminated the felts and used the lightning H55 caps...Much neater
install. I just hope they keep the baring grease away from the
brakes...Without the chain installed the wheel just kept spinning and
spinning.:) Sadly with the chain properly adjusted and lubed I am lucky to
get 2 or 3 revolutions from a good spin..:( That is to be expected I guess.:confused:

I also removed the Triumph tail light that came with the bike and replaced
it with a stock (looking) STOP light and added the VOC LED kit. I must say I
am not impressed with the amount of light theLED marker or the brake light puts
out, as compared to the Triumph light with twice the reflector surface area of
the stock unit even with the LEDs added to the OEM bit.

So, here is a question, does any one know of a set of Hyper-Lites
http://hyperlites.com/ type LEDs supplemental brake lights in 6Vdc?

Sure, I could use the Triumph light and even put in ultra bright LEDs in
that baby to boost the lumens but I got to tell ya I love the way the OEM
light looks on the back of the Shadow. It just looks right so anybody have a
suggestion to get more light back there?

Thanks for any leads.

Cheers,

Eric

Albervin

VOC Member
Eric, have you seen how much light an original tail light gives? I have seen glow worms give more light. You could try http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm
as he has a new brighter version of his LED conversion. I have one on my shelf ready to fit to my new RFM/mudguard/number plate. As soon as I sort out the RFM (it is a Series B unit)
I will know how much brighter it is.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hey there Al,

Good to talk to you again....Paul's kit looks good and I am getting a bunch of bulbs from him but this kit http://www.bulbsthatlast4ever.com/products/vocled1.html

Had more LEDs and was available next day in the USA and the price was about the same.....So I went with that.

I have stuff shipped 12/1 from the UK that is still waiting to be delivered.....
That said the LED's do work great and it is quite visible. I guess I was hoping for a bit more..it is 1000 times brighter then the stock was, but is still pales in comparison to a really good tail light...The bike is black, small and the drivers in the states are hitting school busses saying they did not see them so while it is winter and I have the bike on the lift I thought I would try to figures out a way to increase my visibility...Even though the buggers are not going to see me any way...:-(
Cheers,
Eric

Albervin

VOC Member
They seem to only have 12v. I may get one for my Riley. Damn people spend more time looking at the car rather than where they are going. I have nearly had 3 rear enders and 2 side swipes......... Dangerous stuff owning classic vehicles.....

Last edited:

Alan J

VOC Member
The only answer to being "seen" is to light up like a christmas tree-or strap an orange revolving light on top of your helmet!-Originality can kill you-especially in the dark! [no bike rides for 2 whole weeks-worse than "cabin fever!] :p:p

clevtrev

VOC Member
Get some of the superbright led lamps fitted to pushbikes. Clip a few around the rear of the bike and on your belt. Have them all set in different flashing patterns.

Ducdude

VOC Member
The only answer to being "seen" is to light up like a Christmas tree-or strap an orange revolving light on top of your helmet!-Originality can kill you-especially in the dark! [no bike rides for 2 whole weeks-worse than "cabin fever!] :p:p

Thanks Alan, Since I got the Shadow the restoration has killed my saddle time...Hell my bikes are actually getting dusty for the first time in years. Now with winter and temps between -7 and 3C coupled with the salt and the ice on the ground I too am starting to feel like a caged tiger..

I am hot on the trail of powering a set of these Hyper-Lights http://hyperlites.com/ as marker and flashing stop lights with the 6 volt system...I will get it is just a matter of how...

Cheers,
Eric