Reading a Modern Magazine

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I will admit I get a modern bike mag (BIKE) I got it as part of a deal for some other classic mags and slowly I have grown to like it seeing what the modern bikes have to offer (reliability comfort and performance) and what they don't (light weight and low height). This month they did a feature on the new Gold Star (ugh!) but also 8 sample classic bikes (Anthony Godin stock) with a write up and what they are worth indicating that these are the ones the young blades might like to buy. There is a Comet with an interesting write up a price of £22995 and they say its a third the cost of a v twin and comment "lets face it many people wont know the difference"
The other interesting fact I gleaned is that the attendance at Silverstone was only 46,000 and the attendance at the Skerries road race in Ireland was 40,000 I think a lot of people are starting to think like me GP racing is too sanitised and real road racing is like it should be.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I will admit I get a modern bike mag (BIKE) I got it as part of a deal for some other classic mags and slowly I have grown to like it seeing what the modern bikes have to offer (reliability comfort and performance) and what they don't (light weight and low height). This month they did a feature on the new Gold Star (ugh!) but also 8 sample classic bikes (Anthony Godin stock) with a write up and what they are worth indicating that these are the ones the young blades might like to buy. There is a Comet with an interesting write up a price of £22995 and they say its a third the cost of a v twin and comment "lets face it many people wont know the difference"
The other interesting fact I gleaned is that the attendance at Silverstone was only 46,000 and the attendance at the Skerries road race in Ireland was 40,000 I think a lot of people are starting to think like me GP racing is too sanitised and real road racing is like it should be.
Did you notice the new "Gold Star" is only just lighter than a Vincent twin ?

Speedtwin

VOC Member
The new Gold Star like the Enfield Interceptor is very heavy.
Look at the kerb weight on these bad boys what are they made of,lead?
My old man was considering one once he threw his leg over the Interceptor he changed his mind far to heavy for what it is.
Make a good anchor though.

vibrac

VOC Member
I did have a letter published in Bike this month asking that they also include weight in their great table of available bike statistics I get impression that maximum speed is a statistic that has become increasingly irrelevant nowadays for road use so long as it does three figures. I must admit the most important item after weight and seat height is if it has a cruise control. I should add that this is not for autobahn use although handy its because many central Bedfordshire villages on B roads have been fitted (at great expense) with average speed camera nests of course with a bike they only work one way but its easy to forget....