Re-covering dual seat

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm about to install a new cover on my Feridax seat. I bought a nice new foam and cover but after cleaning up an original 1952 Dunlopillo foam I have it really looks pretty nice, is thinner and is already fitted underneath to the hoop, bars and pan. I am going to use that instead of the new foam. All the crumbly dark brown oxidation is gone and the foam underneath is firm, not discolered and not powdery. It is really quite amazing how well it cleaned up. I'll post pictures when that option gets fixed here.

I have read the archived MPH articles available on the club site and the advice here on the forum. The gist of it is that I need to start by securing the cover at the front and back and then install down the sides, keeping things even and folding and tucking as I go. I will use a combination of tacks and #6 screws with cup washers to hold it down.

A question not addressed is whether to use any kind of material between the foam and cover, like thin plastic or interlining. I have trimmed the base so it will not protrude and rounded the bottom edges so the cover will not be abraded. has anyone used any kind of tape on the base edges to help with that? Any other tips appreciated.

Ron

Albervin

VOC Member
Best done on a hot day so you get a good stretch. Not sure what material you are using but I have done a Vincent seat and a Riley car roof. The roof was rexine and could really be stretched. Only light tack the cover as you go because chances are you will get more stretch as you proceed. Think about a rot-proof foam base liner between wood and Dunlopillo foam to get a two stage cushion. Much harder to do is fit gel pads on the top of the Dunlopillo to get great comfort.
Plan, measure, measure again. Start front to back then work the sides. You will probably have to trim excess . To stretch the cover I had half a dozen surgical locking arterial forceps but pliers will do. Take your time.

Albervin

VOC Member
A

This is #229. All original

https://somer.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/HRD-B-Rapide/i-ZjQQ9QL/A
Interesting also is the seat. I have an original Series B Rexine seat with the Feridax logo screen printed on the back. It has a one piece top so in all there are only five panels. All the old tacks are now rusting
and, sadly, the base is becoming a bit flexible due to rot. I am going to try and rebuild it on a new base as the steel, cover and foam are excellent. I will use marine ply with plenty of penetrol soaked into it and coat all the internal brackets with a suitable coating of, probably penetrol and epoxy black. I think the bottom of the ply base just had a simple coat of black paint. Back to you Somer.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Now that I can put small pictures in the forum I thought I would show what a little work with a sanding block can do to refurbish a Dunlopillo seat foam. I also used Gorilla glue and some small pieces of foam to repair a couple of mouse chewed areas.

Before:

image[2].jpg

After:

IMG_0624 (Large).JPG

The lines on the edges are from the original cover seams I guess. The Dunlopillo raised name and the date dial have nearly gone away now, but this looks good for a few more years.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The one piece tops (no seams going across) I've seen came on the later bikes, earlier bikes seemed to be 3 seam or 2 seam.

davidd

VOC Member
That worked well!

I carved a seat out of foam and sanded it to ease the edges, but I did not get the edges as smooth as I should have. Certain lines and flaws did print through more than I wanted. I have seen a upholsterers use a thin piece of foam draped over the seat to smooth flaws in the foam. I don't know exactly what material this was, but I wish I had used some! Your foam looks pretty good.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
The one piece tops (no seams going across) I've seen came on the later bikes, earlier bikes seemed to be 3 seam or 2 seam.
Most of the later bikes seem to have a smooth vinyl cover, mine is quite textured, same as the roof on my Riley car.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello David
To avoid small imperfections printing through over here in Germany we use stuff called Polsterwatte for many years.
The stuff is best described as a kind of fleece. Usually 1/2" thick, harder but less dense than the fleece we know from popular jackets.
The stuff is magic and a joy to work with and cheap as well.
Unfortunately I cannot post a picture at the moment but I will try again later.
Cheers Bernd