Misc: Everything Else Rapide recommission project

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I plan on doing the minimum required to get her up and running, I'm not planning for a full strip down restoration rebuild, she will be a riders bike with all the history, scratches knocks and mods that have been done over the years. Well that's what I'm aiming for, that will probably change in time.

A barn find is a lovely idea but why did it get put in the barn in the first place? I always suspect that it is because someone was totally fed up with the unreliable, worn out piece of junk always letting them down.
( I recently found this the hard way with a fairly original 1936 - non Vincent - bike that I bought. It was ratty but started and ran quite well. When trying to fix a few minor faults it was apparent that it was worn out and had been bodged at some point in the distant past. Continued use would have led to frustration and more damage)

The finish and patina is purely a matter of choice but I think that you should have a good look inside the case before trying to use it. Alloy idlers, sludged oil ways, worn out primary chain are all things that shouldn't be ignored.

atomiclama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
why did it get put in the barn in the first place?

I think that you should have a good look inside the case before trying to use it. Alloy idlers, sludged oil ways, worn out primary chain are all things that shouldn't be ignored.

Well it got put away many years ago due to my dad getting married and then I cam along, no time for the bike after that.

Oh I intend on checking the main parts over and replacing / fixing anything that needs it, thanks for the hints.

I'm sure to be back here with many more questions seeking advice.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Modified for 50 deg usually means the 180 deg cam ring is replaced with a 50 deg item, so if it ran before that issue is settled. A mag will only fire one set of plugs so the extra plugs are probably ready made plugs and if are ever used will require less full spark advance than single plugs.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looks like a manual mag so no ATD
Is that a front numberplate? if so the bike its a long time since bike was used
plug holes ready for decompressor units interesting to see if the gubbins has already been removed from timing chest

atomiclama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yeah the mag was wired into a lever on the bars, thought it was the choke lever to start with, but no routed to the mag, no choke on the carbs.
Getting into the timing chest will have to wait.

The bike was probably last used 1968, well that's the last stamp on the log book, need to check a few things with my mum though.