Misc: Everything Else Rapide recommission project

atomiclama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Say hello to the old girl MYO 899, finally seen some light after 40 ish years stuck in the back of a couple of garages. It was my dad's retirement project that he never got round to. Now it's mine.

Before anyone mentions it, all details have gone to Simon.

IMG_0384.JPG

I'm new here, been reading many threads, books etc any info I can find, now it's time to start. Got a good idea of what is required and how to go about it but I'm sure there will be many questions to come.

I plan on doing the minimum required to get her up and running, I'm not planning for a full strip down restoration rebuild, she will be a riders bike with all the history, scratches knocks and mods that have been done over the years. Well that's what I'm aiming for, that will probably change in time.

So a couple of questions to get things rolling: -

- Blue, it's blue, I thought from the factory rapides were black and a few red. Looks like original paint, can't see any black where it has been scratched. So what's people's thoughts on this?

- Front brakes, well they look different to what I have seen on pictures of other bikes. Anyone got any info about them. 8 1/2" diameter.

- Mag, well my dad said it was something special. Anyone got any info on it. K2FR Lucas Racing

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Say hello to the old girl MYO 899, finally seen some light after 40 ish years stuck in the back of a couple of garages. I was my dad's retirement project that he never got round to. Now it's mine.

View attachment 39050

I'm new here, been reading many threads, books etc any info I can find, now it's time to start. Got a good idea of what is required and how to go about it but I'm sure there will be many questions to come.

I plan on doing the minimum required to get her up and running, I'm not planning for a full strip down restoration rebuild, she will be a riders bike with all the history, scratches knocks and mods that have been done over the years. Well that's what I'm aiming for, that will probably change in time.

- Blue, it's blue, I thought from the factory rapides were black and a few red. Looks like original paint, can't see any black where it has been scratched. So what's people's thoughts on this?

- Front brakes, well they look different to what I have seen on pictures of other bikes. Anyone got any info about them. 8 1/2" diameter.

- Mag, well my dad said it was something special. Anyone got any info on it. K2FR Lucas Racing

Cheers
Andy
Hello Andy,
You've come to the right place. Ask a question and you will get a good variety of answers. Also worth using the "Search" facility. You will find it near the top right in the header.
It looks as if all or most of the bits are there. I don't know if blue was ever a standard colour but it is your bike and you can have it any colour you like.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Here is a stab at that front brake. Many years ago one of the club's senior members fitted back to back BSA brakes to the front of a Vincent. He was very experienced and he thought them a major improvement. I can't be sure from the photo but it is possible that those are a copy of that modification and provided that you can get all the parts needed to refurbish them, i.e. linings etc. you might find that they are a very good brake. It is possible that they have been made into twin leading shoe but it is not clear from the photo as to what rotates and what is fixed. Good luck with the project.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I think they are back to back BSA brakes it was a popular mod back whenever (1965+), I was going to do it on my twin never got round to it sold one and in the end I used the other one on my orange racing Comet. A very good brake

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Say hello to the old girl MYO 899, finally seen some light after 40 ish years stuck in the back of a couple of garages. I was my dad's retirement project that he never got round to. Now it's mine.

View attachment 39050

Cheers
Andy
The works did make red ones and red and black ones and a few, very few, blue ones. All intended for export to USA. What exactly the shade of blue was I have no idea.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I also see Monoblocs and two front heads. The rear Monobloc is the rare version with a right-side float bowl. That puts the adjustments on the outside, which is a good thing. Unfortunately not possible for the front head.

This bike has seen some reworking/upgrading for sure.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes they will be BSA brakes, they may be good but VERY heavy, quite common among UK sidecar racers years ago, I saw two different sets for sale at autojumbles last year. I notice the steering head, yokes, damper and RFM are black. I don't think the magneto is normally stamped there and what is mounted below the oil filter housing ?

atomiclama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks all plenty to research read up on, should keep me busy for some time.

• Colour, well according to Simon it left the factory black so has probably been repainted at some point. I quite like it as it is rust spots n all.
  • Brakes, the bike is fitted out for a sidecar and that side car lives above the bike, can't see from the pictures. My dad liked upgrading brakes, he put some 4 pot calipers on a VW split screen, so this BSA mod makes sense.
  • Mag, Modified for 50deg timing, any info to help me look into this?
  • What is below the oil filter housing, well nothing but junk ;-)
  • 2x front heads, ok well more reading required. Oh and dual spark plugs are fitted.

Now need some decent light and time to get some more pictures.
Cheers
Andy