PT: Exhaust Quiet Exhaust?

Denny653

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello

I live in the UK. I am looking for a quiet exhaust for my C Series Rapide. Has the VOC spares company ever developed a quite exhaust? I am willing to give up HP, as my Rapide will still reach the legal limit even with a few horses removed.

Why? I think with the current trend for idiots to ride bikes with very loud exhausts it won't be long before the government reduces permissible sound levels on all vehicles. I live two miles from the A30 and on a sunny Sunday morning I can hear the bikes screaming through. Then there are the 'sound cameras' that are coming!

Could the Vincent Spares company be proactive here and develop a quieter exhaust that looks the same as the original before the government forces us to?

I would be your first customer.

Kevin
Kevin, my 1926 Harley JD had a foot-operated exhaust cut-out from the factory, so noisy motorcycles are not new. I made motorcycle exhaust systems for almost 30 years for US made bikes. I occasionally had a request for a quieter muffler. When I punched the baffles, I just added a few more. On factory mufflers, a disc was welded in the baffles to quiet it down. The disc is smaller in diameter than the i.d. of the baffles. If that makes it too quiet, you just drill some holes in the baffles.

brian gains

VOC Member
apparently EV's are being touted as the next big thing, perhaps this would be an avenue for enquiry; hummmmmmm.

Denny653

VOC Member
Harley-davidson is already selling electric bikes. Reports are that they are really fast. I wonder if they will sound better with straight pipes?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Well we all had noisey cars/bikes when we were younger, but the droning sound within a car quickly wears off, and becomes nothing but tiring on your ears and your brain........Loud pipes saves lives.......I dont think so, the noise is usually as the bike passes you and simply scares the crap out of you as they go past.......more obnoxious than anything, by riders drawing attention to themselves........Yes nice to have a good note, but only on a stock Vincent could you run an open pipe and not be anoying to yourself and others.......Once you up the comp and some bigger cams, the noise with open pipes is too much........tried all the above.......all good fun.
Thats why i run a squeeking front brake set. Mostly its quiet....

Speedtwin

VOC Member
An MOT examination is carried out here in Northern Ireland by government test centres unlike the rest of the UK. Why I mention this is, there is no requirement for a vehicle to run indeed I have taken a bike without an engine for the MOT.It passed.
There is no noise limits although they have recently started to look for the stamps on silencers in particular the "not for road use" stamp.
Seems daft if it is stamped bike will fail, if it is home made straight through no baffle it passes.
Having nearly been flattened by a silent tram this reinforced my belief in noise is good.
We call the EV cars the silent killers when we are designing roadworks.
There is nothing like the sound of a bike full chat roaring up the road sanitised classics as seen on some UK race circuits is just not right.
Imagine a Honda six cylinder race bike without the rip, sacrilege.
Al

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
What I find hilarious is some of the car manufacturers that at one time produced muscle cars are now producing EV that look the same as the muscle cars are incorporating sound tracks that replicate the motors of the original muscle cars. The ultimate playing card in the spokes is what comes to mind.
I suspect someone is going to jump on here and tell how their Electron 1000 Buzz Lightyear Special Edition can go from 0 to 90 days incarceration faster than the Millennium Falcon did the Kessel run. But let's be honest, even if EVs had clutch and gearboxes and weren't twist and goes, there is something visceral and satisfying about rev'ing up a an ICE. Particularly if you've had it spread across the garage floor or bench at sometime rebuilding it with your own hands. I hope future generations having something as satisfying as that for themselves.

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
One of our section members has an exhaust from a Enfield Bullet 500 fitted to his twin. It is the standard Vincent shape although a little longer and very quiet. Not sure how it affects performance but his twin seems to go as well as anyone else's. Oh and its cheap which is a refreshing change.

vibrac

VOC Member
What I find hilarious is some of the car manufacturers that at one time produced muscle cars are now producing EV that look the same as the muscle cars are incorporating sound tracks that replicate the motors of the original muscle cars. The ultimate playing card in the spokes is what comes to mind.
I suspect someone is going to jump on here and tell how their Electron 1000 Buzz Lightyear Special Edition can go from 0 to 90 days incarceration faster than the Millennium Falcon did the Kessel run. But let's be honest, even if EVs had clutch and gearboxes and weren't twist and goes, there is something visceral and satisfying about rev'ing up a an ICE. Particularly if you've had it spread across the garage floor or bench at sometime rebuilding it with your own hands. I hope future generations having something as satisfying as that for themselves.
Its a very frequent theme in SF movies that include a stable future earth where the hero or heroine has a pre Y2K car I cannot recall a motorcycle.... ah! yes I can! There is its a Star Trek film when the hero on another planet rides a classic (Honda?) in circles drawing fire from the villains in company of virtual images of himself cant think of the film title.

andrew peters

VOC Member
On a racer the noise limit for classic bikes is now 105 Db not many Vincent road silencers would pass that. I tried a new tack with my Grey Flash I built a silencer with a 2" straight through. The section in the silencer was perforated the difference was I made the body from alloy tube and the walls are 1/4" thick and I filled the gap between perforated pipe and wall with acoustic wadding, my thinking was thin walls transmit sound and vibrate. the result is very heavy but it passes the noise meter

View attachment 59704
you could easily reduce weight by drilling a few holes...?

brian gains

VOC Member
On a racer the noise limit for classic bikes is now 105 Db not many Vincent road silencers would pass that. I tried a new tack with my Grey Flash I built a silencer with a 2" straight through. The section in the silencer was perforated the difference was I made the body from alloy tube and the walls are 1/4" thick and I filled the gap between perforated pipe and wall with acoustic wadding, my thinking was thin walls transmit sound and vibrate. the result is very heavy but it passes the noise meter

View attachment 59704
was a significant amount of re jetting across the range required ?.