Puncture repair aerosol

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
IMG_3400.JPG
I'm hopeless at removing and fitting tyres and tubes so I've made a habit of carrying a can of tyreweld on long trips. The stuff worked well and got me out of trouble a couple of years ago when I picked up a nail in the rear tyre on my Guzzi.
Normally I buy it in France (the supermarkets all sell it) because there is a better selection suitable for use in tubed tyres - Holts tyreweld widely sold here is stated to be only suitable for tubeless tyres.
Last time I visited France I bought a smaller Facom one, small enough to wrap in foam and stow under the seat, so ready at all times. I did wonder if the can was man enough but yesterday I suffered a rear wheel puncture about 10 miles from home, it worked well in spite of the smaller quantity and low temperature when used.

Colin

VOC Member
I always carry a can of Tyreweld or similar and it has fixed the odd puncture, especially when riding The Arbuthnot Trial some years ago. A word of warning, make absolutely sure when you are transporting it on the bike, that it cannot be set off, or punctured accidentally. The resulting mess is unbelievable and will take ages to clean up.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I always carry a can of Tyreweld or similar and it has fixed the odd puncture, especially when riding The Arbuthnot Trial some years ago. A word of warning, make absolutely sure when you are transporting it on the bike, that it cannot be set off, or punctured accidentally. The resulting mess is unbelievable and will take ages to clean up.
Good warning that.
The only time tyre weld hasn't worked very well for me was when the puncture was on the hub side of the tube, caused by the security bolt chafing the tube, it still got me off the motorway but soon went down. I suppose a hole caused by a spoke end would be similarly difficult to seal.

vibrac

VOC Member
Position of the can is very important years ago I strapped a large Finlec to the rear support tube on my Triunph 500 trail bike (I wish I never sold that) I was doing the Edinburgh Trial in Derbyshire. It was a long rutted climb with a low stone wall on one side. At full blast (the only way on a Triumph) she did a side winder on the track, the rear hit the wall but I caught it as it swung back, kept my momentum and completed my powered ascent. it was at the next section when the following rider said "Good job you did not stop at the top, you have split the can and you covered all the spectators up the hill behind the wall with a spray of white sticky rubber- don't go back!".

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Good warning that.
The only time tyre weld hasn't worked very well for me was when the puncture was on the hub side of the tube, caused by the security bolt chafing the tube, it still got me off the motorway but soon went down. I suppose a hole caused by a spoke end would be similarly difficult to seal.
For heaven's sake don't regard any of these sealants as a permanent puncture repair. I, too came across a case where the security bolt was the cause of deflation and because the leak was on inside face of the tube. The sealant hadn't worked as it relied on centrifugal action to distribute the fluid.

vibrac

VOC Member
On the MCC trial bike after a few sections I am on 15lbs any way so filec soup does me to the end of the trial
funnily enough I have had a few blow outs on rear trials tyres its not too bad an experience
But I wouldn't want one on a Stevenage steed at a brisk pace on the road thats for sure:eek:

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
Be aware that the propellant in some of those flat-fix aerosols is highly flammable and thus explosive in the confines of a tire. At least that is the case with some of the brands we have available here in the states.