Primary Chain

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All,
I am hoping someone can clarify something for me, I have just finished reading an article in Martyn Goodwyn's OVR (OZ Vincent Review) concerning the Horner Vincent at Goodwood that most have, no doubt, heard all about.
The Rear wheel lockup was due to a failed Primary Chain, my question is, how is a relatively under powered machine like a Vincent able to destroy a TRIPLEX chain when a 200+ Hp MotoGp bike never breaks a chain?

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

nkt267

VOC Member
What am I missing here?
From what I have read from the posts on this subject it appears to be whether the chain is fit for purpose.
Are the MotoGP chains specially produced,at what cost? How many of this type of chain will be used in Automotive engines?
From what others have said it would appear that some of the chain sold as a Vincent twin Primary chain may only be industrial quality, and not able to take the constant reversing forces that a motorcycle engine places on a chain.
How many 'motorcycle' rear chains have worn out in less than a year, I've had quite a few on the Comet, so I now throw the chain away every year and buy new..John

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi All,
I am hoping someone can clarify something for me, I have just finished reading an article in Martyn Goodwyn's OVR (OZ Vincent Review) concerning the Horner Vincent at Goodwood that most have, no doubt, heard all about.
The Rear wheel lockup was due to a failed Primary Chain, my question is, how is a relatively under powered machine like a Vincent able to destroy a TRIPLEX chain when a 200+ Hp MotoGp bike never breaks a chain?

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
Kevin
It is my understanding that the Goodwood bike was producing a tad in excess of 100 BHP. Investigations are in hand - but it seems the ONLY triplex chain readily available in Oz at present turns out to be industrial grade

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi All,

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
Kevin
Maybe it`s because they use a gear driven primary ?

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Maybe it`s because they use a gear driven primary ?
Trev, what I meant was the MotoGP bikes rear chain is handling 200+Hp and is only a single row, but as Martyn said it is only an industrial chain on the Vin.
But I still would have thought that a triplex chain on 100 Hp would outlast a single chain at 200+ Hp?
Maybe it just boils down to quality then?

Kevin

Albervin

VOC Member
There is no ESA on the race bike so in conjunction with poor quality chain something had to give.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
esa.jpg
I don't think? it has an ESA in there, don't know for sure though.... comments??

greg brillus

VOC Member
There is far more to this issue than most realize...They had most of the bike set up stock including the brakes, which from what I can work out is in their rule book. The brakes were hardly up to the job...Even the Manx's had far better brakes than the 7 inch lightning set up. The fact of the matter is they were using the engine as a brake by punching it down through the gears to slow it down. Remember their riders are use to a modern Vincent with discs and better everything at their fingertips (Irving Vincent's) so I think if the chain was of a lesser grade than it should have been, I'm not surprised at all that it broke. I think it is unnecessary for all road going Vincent users to panic and change their primary chains at every oil change....You are unlikely to get anywhere near the load factors that the Horners bike did. I think if you had a stock crank, this lock up would almost certainly have shifted your flywheels. The fancy looking splined arrangement on the crank is for one of their trick starters, that engages with special dogs on the primary cover, Obviously not a standard item, but a great system non the less. Cheers.....Greg.