• New Member Special Offer

Join the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club today, and get a special offer of 14 months for the price of 12 (your membership will expire on 31st December 2020)!

There is a mass of information, including many thousands of technical articles which have been written since the Club started in 1948, which are only available to Members of the Club. Once you join, your membership of this forum will be upgraded and you'll get access to them, as well as many other features.

To join, simply click HERE and follow the simple instructions.

Ron and Linda Thomas - Membership Secretaries.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

PR27 rear number plate question...historical

GBewley

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I did a little research and found on Wikipedia that during the 1950s British number plates were APPARENTLY supposed to be white or silver letters on a black background. I know from my Meteor, which still runs it’s british numbers, that quite often (always?) the number was painted or applied directly to the plate...no tag as we have in the states. This makes me wonder if this regulation is possibly the reason the number plates seem to have always been black, even on red machines.

Any thoughts on this from those who may remember?

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Up until around 1972 all number plates were black background with white or silver letters and numbers. No regulations regarding what materials were used. There was a change to the size of the digits around the late fifties if I remember correctly.