Misc: Carburettors Poor Running Comet Problem

Cannop

Forum User
VOC Member
Good afternoon, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping to tap into the club's impressive technical knowledge base, so I hope you're all well and I'm very pleased to meet you!

I've bought a 1951 Comet which is in lovely order, it has a few pattern cycle parts I think but I'm not particularly hung up about that. My problem is I don't just want to look at it (as lovely as it is), I want to get some miles in on it and it's refusing to play ball.

It's a standard 499cc single running a BTH magneto and has been converted to 12v electrics. I've checked the ignition timing and the tappets and all seems good, the magneto produces a nice fat spark and there's plenty of compression. The engine fires up quite readily but when I first went to ride it opening the throttle caused it to splutter and die. The chap I bought it from said it would need going through before riding and he wasn't wrong!

With the ignition and the tappets correct, and with good compression, I thought it must be a fuelling problem so I stripped the carburettor. It's running the standard Amal pre-monoblock 229F/1DV and the jets are standard at 200 main jet and 106 needle jet (they do look new so I'm wondering if this fuelling issue has been around for a while). The throttle slide was a 29/4 so I've replaced it with the standard 29/3 and the needle clip is on number 3 position (from the top). The float chamber has its original brass float and that's clipped to the lower position on the original float needle, this equates to the upper clip position on a new replacement float needle. Fuel flows from the taps quite readily and I've had both taps out to check for any gunge or debris, but the filters on both are clear. I replaced the fuel lines whilst I was at it and also replaced all the fibre washers in the carburettor.

So with everything apparently correct and set to standard the only way I can actually ride the machine is by having the mixture screw screwed right in. Whilst this allows the machine to be ridden it means it has very poor acceleration and when I open the throttle above about an 1/8th to a 1/4 the engine dies. These issues suggests to me a seriously weak mixture (as born out by refusing to run with the mixture screw set at the starting point of 1 1/4 turns).

What could the issue be? I've read so many fuelling threads on here that I've gone crosseyed but they only suggest what I suspect, that the fuelling is excessively weak. The only thing I can think of is that the carburettor body is worn out and is letting excessive air past the slide, it is the original brass one after all. I've checked for air leaks at the inlet stub on the cylinder head and the joint between the carb and stub but I can't find any evidence of air being drawn in.

It's got me stumped at the moment so has anyone overcome a similar problem, and if you have what was the underlying cause? I will greatly appreciate any replies whether they work or not!

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, Sounds like a tricky one,
Have you tried running on choke,
Just to see if it's weak, Or an ignition fault,
The old carb's do funny things when the body and slide are worn,
The slide often rattle in the body and the slow running is never the same when warm ?.

Maybe borrow another carb' , Just to see if it's the carb'.

These old bikes don't like suppressor caps,
And make sure the H.T. lead is solid wire not the carbon track type that was around 70 s and 80 s.
Maybe try another Spark Plug ?, I like Champion N5 c Or N9y, Only 20 thou gap ?.
Good Luck, Bill.

If you tell us what area you live , Maybe someone can help ?.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Same comment as Bill. If you tell us the area, not the place, you live in perhaps someone can come round and have a look. Also have you put new fuel into it?

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Same comment as Bill. If you tell us the area, not the place, you live in perhaps someone can come round and have a look. Also have you put new fuel into it?
I'm not sure ,but the 106 needle jet is ,I think,for the 1/ 1.16 th. carb .The larger carbs I have been using have the needle and needle jet marked as 29.Perhaps the previous owner fitted the wrong needle or jet.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Is the float bowl a bottom feed, if it is take the top off and mark the top of the petrol level, this should be just below the pilot screw thread, once you have the level correct (you can alter it slightly by tilting the carb) it's down to jets and air leaks.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I'm not sure ,but the 106 needle jet is ,I think,for the 1/ 1.16 th. carb .The larger carbs I have been using have the needle and needle jet marked as 29.Perhaps the previous owner fitted the wrong needle or jet.
Garth may have a good point,
A lot of us don't use the old type anymore,
I have not used since 1965 !,
But If you scroll down to the bottom of THIS page,

There is Resources Information,
Then at the bottom of that,
Click on Whitaker Pedia,
Then under carburettors 6.1
Eddy Stevens tells us the needle jet for the old carb's,
The Comet should have the 1. 1/8" Carb' which has a longer needle !!,
And as Garth said 29 needle jet ?.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Also clean out the fine pilot fuel drilling in the bottom of the jet block, No. 76 drill bit or a single strand of straightened control cable .020" or slightly less. The large fibre washer shouldn't obstruct this if the correct size, there is an illustration in the "Rider's Handbook". I believe the needle jet you have is the correct one, and for memory (sorry, Bill) 29 is the needle number. I could be wrong here, someone will doubtless correct me if so. Worth checking the needle as well.

Cannop

Forum User
VOC Member
Many thanks for all the replies, they give me some areas to work on. Lots of very good advice here, a lot of which I hadn't considered. Taking the points in order, with regards to the spark plug and HT lead I shall check what's fitted and replace if necessary. I have replaced the fuel with fresh as the bike hadn't really been run in 18 months. The jets are as below, the data I checked against was from this old data sheet:

amalcatpage12.jpg

img_5484.jpg

img_5483.jpg

The float bowl is a bottom feed so I'll check the level with regards to the pilot screw thread, it's a good thing you can take the cover off with the fuel on! I shall also check out the Whitaker Pedia carb info. I'll also check the fine pilot fuel drilling for obstructions. I have ultrasonically cleaned all the carb components along with the body so I would hope it would be clear but it's definitely worth checking. The BTH magneto is an original I believe, but it received a full rebuild and rewind from E L Salmons rewinds in June 2000. That's 22 years ago I know but the bike has covered less than 1,600 miles since then so any magneto bearings and windings shouldn't have deteriorated too much. It does produce a healthy spark!

Many thanks for all the suggestions, it gives me some things I can focus on to try to get to the bottom of the issue. I'll report back with any updates but unfortunately I'm away this weekend so although I'm itching to get stuck in it's going to have to wait a little while!