Pink spark??

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not to disparage, but when Cook Neilson won Daytona on his round case Ducati, coils were critical. He used a much more primitive set-up though, an engineers vice with contacts at either jaw. I imagine that this was driven by a lack of resources, not an affection for Luddites. (One of the best reasons for tidying the garage is the occasional discovery of things you'd forgotten you'd bought, that suddenly are exactly what you need.)
From memory (but with exaggeration for dramatic effect), the oe (probably Marelli) coil had to be helped over a 2mm gap, lame dogs and stiles, a Lucas racing coil jumped 2.1 unaided. Each cost $35 (several million dollars in today's "money"). A generic AC Delco coil, bought from Walmart for 49 cents, jumped 17 feet. He ran AC Delco coils: he won.
For me the killer quote in the article was that motorcycle plugs are usually gapped at 18 thou. Car plugs are usually gapped in 1/16" intervals. Does that tell you something? It did me.
As I always hate it when someone starts a thread and then never bothers to give any results, I thought I had better update my query about a pink spark. Timetravellers post about the variable gap spark tester reminded me that I too had one in my toolbox, so I conducted a series of tests with it. With and without suppressed plug caps, with kickstart or electric start, old ignition switch or a separate new switch, you can all imagine the permutations. The end result was that one of my coils was consistently weaker than the other in every test. I have accordingly ordered two new high performance coils. When they arrive, a new series of tests will be carried out. Watch this space.....

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
When I had coil ignition on the twin I used Japanese coils. Every one I bought was 3.5 ohms, as was the coil I got from Francois. I changed back to magneto because the coils would occasionally fail in circumstances that suggested heat was a factor, but when subsequently tested all were 100%. I still have no idea what the problem was, but suspected that my complete ignorance of electrickery meant I hadn't used a ballast resistor (whatever that is) or something else so obviously essential that no one had thought to mention it. If anyone knows what caused it (or even what might have caused it) I'd be very interested, since Francois's spruiter, plus coil, is planned for the Comet Project.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
I am a great advocate of generous heat sinks fitted to both ends of any Jap type coil. Certainly the old Lucas Rita system mis-firing was cured with these objects.
Cheers, ET43

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Memo to self: maybe the mag cowl is less effective as a heat sink than it needs to be...

I am a great advocate of generous heat sinks fitted to both ends of any Jap type coil. Certainly the old Lucas Rita system mis-firing was cured with these objects.
Cheers, ET43