E: Engine Pinion Touching Thrust Washer...

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
While I am installing new gaskets, I decided to take a look at the Pinion and Cam. When I removed the Steady Plate, I found what looked like the Pinion cutting away at the thrust washer. What would cause this, and what should I do? (Yes, I am new at this and learning)

IMG_1382.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 55

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
All normal stuff that you often see.
It's worth having a washer here to spread the load onto the aluminum steady plate. The rubbing is typically fixed by using a smaller diameter washer of the same thickness.
Now that you have the timing cover off it would be well worth checking all cam and idler end floats and also cam and follower surfaces for wear. I suggest that you search this site as much has been written here on this topic.

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
All normal stuff that you often see.
It's worth having a washer here to spread the load onto the aluminum steady plate. The rubbing is typically fixed by using a smaller diameter washer of the same thickness.
Now that you have the timing cover off it would be well worth checking all cam and idler end floats and also cam and follower surfaces for wear. I suggest that you search this site as much has been written here on this topic.
Thanks! I’ll take a look.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There is an error in "Richardson." The cam follower thrust washer, ET98 (3/8"i.d.) must be on the inside, abutting the timing chest wall. The ET98/1, (5/16" i.d.) goes immediately under the steady plate. The camshafts have both thrust washers on the outside under the steady plate, none on the inner end, it should never rub the timing chest wall. The fibre pinion on the magneto drive is worth replacing. I can't quite see what idler boss assembly you have, but if it is two-piece alloy and steel, best replace it with a two-piece all steel component. Cheers from Australia.

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is an error in "Richardson." The cam follower thrust washer, ET98 (3/8"i.d.) must be on the inside, abutting the timing chest wall. The ET98/1, (5/16" i.d.) goes immediately under the steady plate. The camshafts have both thrust washers on the outside under the steady plate, none on the inner end, it should never rub the timing chest wall. The fibre pinion on the magneto drive is worth replacing. I can't quite see what idler boss assembly you have, but if it is two-piece alloy and steel, best replace it with a two-piece all steel component. Cheers from Australia.
Thanks for the taking a closer look and sharing the correction. I’ll take a couple of more closer photos and share. I’m super interested in knowing what I got going on here!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You are very Brave to go in there ,
We call it the Horror Chamber !, So many possible problems,
Looks like the wrong washers , With your problem ?,
The spindles are not very tight in the cases, Some wear loose over time,
If you get very involved , The Spares Company can supply over size spindles ?,
Easy to knock the spindles in too far And some people might fit washers to rectify, Wrongly ,
Maybe the spacer on your spindle is too short ?.

You need a nice bit of end float on the wheels on the spindles ,
More so on the breather spindle.

Just a tip, If you use NEW nylon nuts used in there they are sometimes too tight on the threads,
So when you tighten them up they shift the spindles !,
I always run the nuts onto a shaft in the vise first , Just to ease the nylon bit .

Attachments

• M013a.jpg
    M013a.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
You are very Brave to go in there ,
We call it the Horror Chamber !, So many possible problems,
Looks like the wrong washers , With your problem ?,
The spindles are not very tight in the cases, Some wear loose over time,
If you get very involved , The Spares Company can supply over size spindles ?,
Easy to knock the spindles in too far And some people might fit washers to rectify, Wrongly ,
Maybe the spacer on your spindle is too short ?.

You need a nice bit of end float on the wheels on the spindles ,
More so on the breather spindle.

Just a tip, If you use NEW nylon nuts used in there they are sometimes too tight on the threads,
So when you tighten them up they shift the spindles !,
I always run the nuts onto a shaft in the vise first , Just to ease the nylon bit .
Chamber of Horrors?!? I seriously should have done more reading before opening this up! LoL… I appreciate your help looking at this. I’ll post more photos below. Seems like there may be correct bits missing.

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here’s the plate removed. Thank you everyone for your insight$

Attachments

• EBF199D8-9E4C-4012-A0EA-B0CEFB0B7601.jpeg
    EBF199D8-9E4C-4012-A0EA-B0CEFB0B7601.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 5A00FA3D-5374-4C7F-8691-AB390209E1A6.jpeg
    5A00FA3D-5374-4C7F-8691-AB390209E1A6.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 51
  • EC8A0840-34E8-4C5C-A6A2-28617D021FE1.jpeg
    EC8A0840-34E8-4C5C-A6A2-28617D021FE1.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 2F894815-C049-4CE3-A044-28EEB27B3EE0.jpeg
    2F894815-C049-4CE3-A044-28EEB27B3EE0.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 35B70B14-FA15-449D-89A5-32B8D2D96EAE.jpeg
    35B70B14-FA15-449D-89A5-32B8D2D96EAE.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 4AA2FAE7-5053-4650-99A8-01A3C0A8106B.jpeg
    4AA2FAE7-5053-4650-99A8-01A3C0A8106B.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 49
  • AE445109-989D-47A6-95BA-38E8A5908B3F.jpeg
    AE445109-989D-47A6-95BA-38E8A5908B3F.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 51

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you put a straight edge / Ruler across the spindles at the bottom of the threads,
That could give you an idea if one is a lot lower than the others,
You can easy draw out a spindle if too far in, With washers and a nut,
You should have to warm up the cases , But most are not very tight,
You will only feel the end float on cams and followers if the pushrods are removed,
Be very careful putting the pushrods back in, It's easy to miss the / Location cup in the top of the follower !!,
Looks to me like someone has been in there , Not very long ago ?, And fitted a steel Big idler ?,
They had Alloy ones in the early days which were not good.

Have you any Vincent Owners nearby who could maybe help ?.

I don't think you have the right thrust washers on the camshafts ?,
On the outside There should be one that just ! goes over the thick bit of the shaft,
Then a small one that goes at the base of the thread before the alloy plate goes on ,
Be careful when you put the alloy plate on the bigger one can move away and drop down
Between the end of the thread and the small washer !!,
Which will mess up your end float,
I am afraid the Timing side is not the best bit on a Vincent,
But can work well if you get it right.
Good Luck, Bill.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
On the MO spares photo I have shown,
I don't think it's right on the outside of the breather spindle,
It does not show a thrust washer on the out side ?, Between the shaft and alloy plate,
I often use a big washer like they use with the big steel idler,
All tricky stuff in there Different people use different washers,
If it works, OK , But your ones as you have shown were wrong, Where the pinion can rub on the washers.