Photo Help Photo 0242 - Do You Recognise Someone or Something?

G

Graham Smith

If you recognise someone or something in this photograph, please comment below…

img-230126091938-0007.jpg

G

Graham Smith

Caption reads “Alf Lloyd".

To find out more about Alf Lloyd, click HERE or HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Alf and I were scrutineers at the VOC Ramsey Sprint in 1999. I admit I was there because I was saving the twin (Now Bens Racer) for the lap of the island But Alf and I had a great time checking the bikes over.
However nice VOC members are and however nice the bikes looked some bikes were chambers of Horrors

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have probably related this story before, but worth reiterating (IMHO) I bumped into Alf quite unexpectedly when I attended a dinner party at a friends house, much to my surprise Audrey Lancaster was there also, by virtue of the fact that my friends wife Ann had at one time worked as a barmaid at the Emperor of India pub back in the days when Alan and Audrey Lancaster were the publicans there, and we also held our section meetings there, great days. Alf Lloyd was also there with Audrey, as they had both been, or were going to the Ballet or Opera in London over that weekend.
Anyway a great time was had by all, especially from my point of view as I spent most of the time talking to Alf, a really interesting chap.

I seem to remember he was looking forward to his 70th birthday, upcoming very soon at that time, and intended cycling on his pedal cycle (not on a Vincent) 70 miles to celebrate the occasion, we also chatted about our mutual love of the Scottish highlands, and walking in the hills, now I have managed the odd Munro, but I would not regard what I have done as climbing, more strenuous walking than climbing, on the other hand Alf liked to climb, and was keen for me to join him on a beginners climb, sadly I forget the actual Munro Alf suggested, but when he started to describe some of his exploits I decided what he had in mind was way beyond my capabilities.

One climb he described in some detail where he got into some difficulties on the side of a mountain, which gave Alf the stark choice of a one handed pull up, or a very steep life ending fall, he chose the one handed pull up, I did explain to Alf that I would be totally incapable of performing such a feat of strength, Alf replied, somewhat laconically "you would be surprised what you are capable of when needs must" I politely declined his invite, I far prefer my strenuous walks up Ben Lawers and the like.

In conclusion a great chap, a real shame he is no longer with us, but I thank Graham for doing such a great job with this excellent Forum, and for keeping these memories alive.

Cheers

Peter