Phil Read MBE RIP

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Britain’s most successful GP motorcycle racer, Phil Read MBE has died at the age of 83. He was one of the greatest motorcycle racers ever to come out of Great Britain – and with 121 Grand Prix podiums to his credit, he was certainly the most successful. But he was also one of the most controversial.

A statement released by his son, Phil Read Jnr, on behalf of the family said: “It is with incredible sadness that the Read family reports the passing of Phil Read MBE while peacefully asleep on the morning of October 6th, 2022, at his home in Canterbury, England.

I had the pleasure of annoying Phil at the Ulster Grand Prix some years back during one of many demo/race laps.
His dry wit concerning my on circuit abilities as a moving chicane still makes me smile.
He was of course right.
Had the pleasure of watching him up close riding the 500 he had ridden to a world championship for MV in the seventies.

I still dine out on the story of pulling up alongside him in the warm up area poking him with some good hearted banter.
Which he did not appreciate sorry Phil.
Him sat on his bike helmet on warming the motor.
I told him I thought it was bad form to wear replica helmets at races, he turned and said "I am Phil Read now **** off".

Our thoughts are with the family sons Michael, Graham, Phil Jr, Roki and daughter Esme.

Al,Deri Harvey and Bryn.

royrobertson

VOC Member
I only met Phil once. We were sitting in the club house at a Classic club Snetterton meeting at the same table and I got chatting to a guy who looked very much like an old Phil Read. We discussed the use of Lamba sensors to tune carbs and he was very knowledgeable on the subject. Out of all the things he had done and we could have talked about, he wanted to chat about tuning carbs. It turned out he was a guest of the Club and was there signing his book.
roy the racer

Daimog

Non-VOC Member
Got told off for going into corners too fast and braking too late at Silverstone during a thunderstorm. Think he was just worried I might drop his 400 Yamaha 2 stroke.