Petrol Tap T28/2/B

John Oakes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Can anyone confirm if the petrol tap T28/2/B that is listed on the spares company website will fit on a 1939 Comet? There is no detail of thread size etc. on the website, and the lady at the spares company wasn't sure either?

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 10.23.31.png

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Pre war bikes had 1/8" BSP fuel tap threads into the fuel tank and post war were 1/4"BSP thread in the tanks. As the VOC spares main concentration is the post war bikes I would guess what they sell wouldn't fit series A.

Simon

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
Pre war bikes had 1/8" BSP fuel tap threads into the fuel tank and post war were 1/4"BSP thread in the tanks. As the VOC spares main concentration is the post war bikes I would guess what they sell wouldn't fit series A.

Simon
HI Simon. Thanks - if it is 1/8" into the tank is it 1/4" into the fuel line?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
HI Simon. Thanks - if it is 1/8" into the tank is it 1/4" into the fuel line?
Yes.
I the brass taper type on my A Comet from a different supplier who provided the correct 1/8"BSP thread and I found the modern fuel doesn't lubricate as well and they seized on the taper. Yes they can be dismantled and lapped back in with polish but it lasts for only a while. There is a special grease you can use on them but I wanted to avoid the potential hassle of draining the tank etc to keep maintaining them so I went to a push / pull type which have not been a problem and available with 1/8" BSP thread for the tank and also ethanol proof Teflon seals.

Also available in chrome

Last edited by a moderator:

nkt267

VOC Member
This picture was sent to me by a Marston Sunbeam owner. It seems to be the ideal prewar tap..1/8" BSP at the top 1/4" BSP at the bottom..the bottm hex unscrews and the fuel filter is in the elongated body, so no need to drain the tank to clean the filter..

Attachments

• IMG_3903.JPG
    IMG_3903.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 23

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Something like this might fit the bill.

That is the type which I have had seize on the brass taper. I don't know if its the grade of brass or the ethanol in the petrol or something else .

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
That is the type which I have had seize on the brass taper. I don't know if its the grade of brass or the ethanol in the petrol or something else .

I have used the following before, but you have to be careful not to turn the lever the wrong way as it is very easy to break the stop for the lever. They do feel nice in operation though.