Petrol Tank Fit

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've had a bit of difficulty loading a photo but you can see from my previous post another variation on a early series B (much less than 50) petrol tank front mounting bracket. Interestingly this tank is characterised has having a smooth and rounded cut out in front of the seat nose and the oil tank cap that stands up quite a bit higher than the upper tank surface. I can post more pictures if anyone is interested but don't want this to distract from ogrilp400's original request.
I don't have any knowledge to add to this discussion apart from something I can remember reading about the very first bikes having hand-beaten tanks. This may explain the variation we see in the mounting brackets but I can't remember where this information came from.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Well I have bitten the bullet and as Ron pointed out I have taken a small wedge out of the bend area of each tab and it fits. With all this discussion and comparison of tanks I have I notice that these early tanks, the ones with the small carby cut away, angles on the forward tabs and bicycle pump hangers seem to have some other differences as well. I notice that the crescent section above the rear tab is larger, the top of the tank rises closer to the oil tank cap and it has a fuller profile at the rear. I will take some more photos soon and do an accurate measure of the tank capacity.

Phelps.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I remember recently seeing something about early tank profiles, but can't remember where, and I have searched the full text MPH archive at the club site in vain. Possibly in J. Bickerstaff's Original Vincent ???, but I am away and can't look for it right now. It showed this fuller rear profile.

Ron

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Here are some more photos. Notice how the depth of the cut out above the rear mounting tab is much deeper and also the top of the tank is "hippier" and much higher and deeper around the oil filler than later tanks. I also did an accurate measure of the tank capacity and it is 3.77 gallons or 17.150 liters for those of the metric persuasion.

Phelps.

Attachments

• PICT0891.JPG
    PICT0891.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0884.JPG
    PICT0884.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PICT0885.JPG
    PICT0885.JPG
    482.2 KB · Views: 45
  • PICT0889.JPG
    PICT0889.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 43

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I remember recently seeing something about early tank profiles, but can't remember where, and I have searched the full text MPH archive at the club site in vain. Possibly in J. Bickerstaff's Original Vincent ???, but I am away and can't look for it right now. It showed this fuller rear profile.

Ron

The picture and caption I refer to is on page 43.

Ron