Paint primer for Girdraulic Blades

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The paint on the front leading edges of my girdraulics was all bubbly so I rubbed them down and intend repainting them. Under the paint the aluminium had turned to a white powder which has caused the bubbling. I wonder if there is a modern primer available specifically for use with aluminium that will stop this happening again or will any good primer suffice?

Thanks

davidd

VOC Member
I would use a Zinc Chromate primer. It is available in cans and I recently spoke to a professional painter that was recommending the canned stuff as working very well. Your local auto body paint shop will probably have it. Aircraft Spruce sells it also. If you are spraying with a spray gun, I have had good luck with Dupont Variprime, but it has become quite expensive.

David

clevtrev

VOC Member
I would use a Zinc Chromate primer. It is available in cans and I recently spoke to a professional painter that was recommending the canned stuff as working very well. Your local auto body paint shop will probably have it. Aircraft Spruce sells it also. If you are spraying with a spray gun, I have had good luck with Dupont Variprime, but it has become quite expensive.

David
Bodlan`s in England, and good old Zinc Chromate is now BANNED, like all other things that work.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member

David

David
Hi,
For stockist of alloy primers in the U.K. have a look at www.lightaero.co.uk
On their web site they are advertising Etch primer at £13.65 a Litre . Zinc Chromate. at£12.11 a litre. Plus plenty more Paints and finishes.
They also have a very useful catalogue that is free.
stumpy.